Need input from people that can do smart stuff like math

Anlushac11

1K+
VIP
Tell me if this sounds right.

Intake valve diameter is 1.84"

Assuming intake flows 170cfm (I know I'm being optimistic)

Optimally I need a intake runner inside diameter of 1.65 with top at plenum being 1.75in in diamater

Plenum should be about 4 in diamater and about 18in to 20in long with rear angled down giving a internal volume of about 225 to 250 cubic inches.

I have a Ford 65mm throttle body and I will be running 65lb/hr injectors (Larger than needed to account for E85 fuel).

Anyone see anything that needs changed? Comments appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

I suck at math also but dont go too big on the injectors. Those seem (did no do the math) pretty big assuming you are going with 6 of them, thats 390 lbs. Big injectors have lots of trouble at idle. Are you trying to run Flex or just E-85? Im running a 500 cuin gas motor on 170lbs. I know I must be close to the upper limit so there is no way I could do e-85.

Read some where plenum volume needs to be 0.5 engine volume and each runner 1 - 1.25 x 1 cylinder volume.

From what I've read the BSFC numbers for E-85 are 30-35% higher than for gasoline.

So if you start with a BSFC of 0.50 lbs/hp-hr for a normally aspirated engine on gasoline, you would consume .65-.675 lbs/hp-hr for the same engine on E-85

By the same logic, a boosted gasoline engine consumes 0.55 lbs/hp-hr so an E-85 fed one would consume .715-0743 lbs/hp-hr.

The specific gravities of the two fuels are different and while we rate injectors in lbs/hr, they actually meter a volume. The "lbs/hr" assumes a specific gravity of .75 which is average for gasoline. E-85 is slightly denser at .78 SG so the injectors can be 4% smaller than otherwise indicated. It's probably best to keep this 4% as a safety margin against leaning out and ignore it in the calcs.

You're planning on 6 x 65 lbs/hr injectors or 390 lbs/hr.

(390 lbs/hr) / (.743 lbs/hp-hr) = 525 HP

(390 lbs/hr) / (.715 lbs/hp-hr) = 545 HP

That's a whole lot of ponies out of a Falcon 6

Sound like 45lb injectors would be a better setup if my goal is a optimistic 360hp. Seeing what some people are getting I wouldn't be surprised if I only got a little over 200hp but even that would be a night and day improvement over my 2.3L n/a 67rwhp in a 3100lb car.

Still undecided on the runners and plenum.

I want to optimize the engine for best performance with E85 but since I will have a Megasquirt II ECU I plan to set it up with two tunes and a flex fuel sensor.

One of the many tricks of getting flex thing to work is finding exactally the right injectors. All the calculations I did when I was thinking about it did not give me any room for error or a safety margin. One guy I talked to had some fancy regulator setup to alter the pressure when running one of the fuels. Not sure of the details because it was more complexity than I wanted to deal with.

Back