new fast fuel injection

meh..... i already have enough money dumped into this 200 that i could have built two 302's. i might as well make it run as well as possible.

Granted, this is on a V8, but DonsBolt over on Classic Bronco's just did a build thread with it and he seems to be very pleased. Only thing I've seen where someone was actually using it instead of discussing it. Believe me, I understand the spent money part.

There are now dozens if not more systems out there now. Many claiming 'self tuning'. Price range $1000-5000. Other than TV and internet ads never seen or talked to (even online) anyone that has ever run one of these systems. Based on the projects I have done so far I am not convinced self tuning is possible except for perhaps a very narrow window of fairly specific stock applications. Other problem (at least for us 6'ers) is they all tend to be intended for a 4bbl manifold. Also the seem to be targeted more at the 300-350 cuin range.

explorer, i just read the thread over on classicbroncos and read an article in a mag where they swapped it straight from a small block to big block chevy and it ran smoothly on both.

one of the things that the guy running it on his 302 ran into was that he needed to lower his fuel pressure a tad for the smaller engine.

Yea, I'm watching his posts to see how it does over a period of time. My objective right now is to get it fired and broken in on the carb before I even think about it. Especially since I already have bought the carb. I'll let you know about that Lokar cable. Should be here first of the week. Why don't you be the guinea pig and get that system running on the six. It does seem to be self learning itself reasonably well.

i'm in the same boat as you as far as the carb is concerned. i have a brand new 390 going on this new engine.

i think i'm going to use the money towards some other things (power steering, disc brakes) and worry about injection later.

i just got back from africa so i'm off to check to see what the machine shop has done in my absence.

If self tuning systems are really out there at this stage of my life I may pay a few extra bucks to save myself the hassle of tuning but till I see it myself I aint gonna believe it. There are just too many variables if you really want it to work right. Getting it to run good, maybe but optimum performance and fuel economy? I suspect that tuning stage at the factories even today with all the technology at the big makers still takes a human on a test drive to do some tweaking. My first EFI system was a Holley projection from the early 90's. Simple bolt on TBI. Simple ECU with 5 dials on it. Plug it in and turn the dials till it ran right which took about 10 minutes. Worked great. Made good power. Used a ton of gas.

Most projects have that duh or oops moment. On a new engine break in that can be a very bad thing. For starting a new engine you for sure want to stick with a known working fuel system. With non stockish carbs and EFI you will often make simple mistakes that can at the least mess up your break in or even trash your new motor. Ideal would be to get the bugs out of a new system on a beat up old motor you dont care that much about. Swapping that then working system that you are now comfortable with to a good motor should not take much tweaking and you wont be re rebuilding your motor. I have seen many shops with an old beat up 4150 and a q jet sitting on the shelf in the dyno room just for that first start. After the break in is when the customers choice of fuel systems goes on.

the only problem with that is that my old beat up engine had a one barrel and a log head and my new setup is a ci head, four barrel, 10:1 compression, and a 274/264 cam. i couldn't really put the holley 390 on the old motor and get it tweaked.

the new engine is going to be fired up on an engine dyno so hopefully all works well.

Thats going to be a huge help. My builder has a dyno room, but quit using it years ago due to lack of use. At least he's coming to the house when I'm ready to fire it up.

fordconvert said:
If self tuning systems are really out there at this stage of my life I may pay a few extra bucks to save myself the hassle of tuning but till I see it myself I aint gonna believe it. There are just too many variables if you really want it to work right. Getting it to run good, maybe but optimum performance and fuel economy? I suspect that tuning stage at the factories even today with all the technology at the big makers still takes a human on a test drive to do some tweaking.

i don't claim to know fi,but since the oxygen sensor tells the computer the current mixture,is self tuning improbable?

early ford fan":25zxdibz said:
i don't claim to know fi,but since the oxygen sensor tells the computer the current mixture,is self tuning improbable?

8) the biggest problem is the initial start up, after that it is the available memory capacity and cpu speed. the more memory available, the more the computer can compare current conditions to old ones, and that is what makes a system self tuning, along with the right program. also a slow cpu doesnt allow for maximum flexibility, which means the computer is always playing catch up.

An 02 sensor can tell the computer what the current reading is but what tells the computer what it should be at that time? I suppose you must have to enter some basic info to get a basic starting point. There is a lot of difference between my Caddy that hardly ever sees 3K rpm and my neighbors import rig that needs to see 5K to get rolling. I would like to see what kind of stuff you have to enter. I suppose with enough initial setup questions and some really complex software and lots of computing power it could be done.

Back