200ci mpfi aftermarket efi swap into fox stang

86KR4I

Sorry to get you all excited with the title. :arg: just another newb here. Read my intro. ive been lurking here awhile now. :) I have soooo many questions so im sorry in advance. :oops: my mind is just racing about this :help:

Researching what i need to get for fuel/spark components to swap a 200ci mate a t-5 to it and put it into a foxbody anyyear 86-93(since those had efi and i can use some of the stuff) ill figure out the actuall process of getting the motor/tranny in there as i do it.

first of im seeking a reliable, fun, exciting, not sedan daily driver. Im not lookin to spin 9k and make 600hp. I will be very happy with 175hp+ with plenty of torque. why EFI? why not? i want it to work all the time, not have to change jets, ive never touched a carb let alone re jetted one. I know ima youngin. I just want it to be reliable thru the 4 seasons and where ever i drive.

Ill work on researching building up the motor, and swapping the tranny and ask questions about that in the right section. (y)

so this is my quest to build a l6 DD with EFI. DUN DUN DUN. Everyone needs alittle therapy after you get off work and just wanna listen to the engine noise as you cruise home. Dont want a v8. Everyone has one. l6 note is nicer i think.

i wanna use as much of whats already on the car as i can, to make the swap easier? right now i have a solid 93 hatch with a 2.3 but i might just start over with a craigslist special. What should i get? Jack the dual exhaust from a v8, steal the upper intake elbow from a 2.3 and use that and the TB some how. They have the fuel lines as well as a return line right?Etc.

i wanna go with an aftermarket efi. im not sold on megasquirt because of the assembly but the price keeps me looking at it. i see they have assembled kits. i just wanna buy it an hook it up then start tuning. convince me to get this cuz im totally not sold on it. what would i need from diyautotune? Their site just confuses me. Yea ive looked at the manuals and stuff. lots of info there if i was gonna go that root id have to be reading about it righttttttt...NOW thru xmas.

Also ive been looking at Affordable Fuel Injecton with the TBI injection. but if i change anything like add headers or some new intake or whatever the tune will be off right? It wont correct itself since they flash the ECM for you right? Or will it work with the MAP sensor to smooth things out? Its not like a MAF huh? It wont just re learn?

The one im really lookin at is the FAST XFI. If it works and is reliable then i dont mind shelling the cash. A few shops around here seem to support it. Seemed to work well on that yellow stroked turbo stang azcoupe has. Ill just save my pennies. Looked at the fast Ez-efi kit. yea ive read what most of you say about it. but i wouldnt mind trying it since its cheaper then most AM EFIs you know? If i have most of the stuff i can use the retro fit Ez efi kit right? Itll be less then 1k.

MPFI looks like the way i want to go? Or is it just port fuel injection. Should i stick with the stock manifold of maybe a later year thats flows more and bung it or build a custom? i suppose that depends what type of AM EFI i go huh?

so far my list is:
Injectors
Stock fuel pump/filter/lines should be good?
AFPR(for working with aftermarket efi or will stocker work?)
ECM(aftermarket)
Wiring harness(custom aftermarket)
What sensors do i need?
Crank/Cam
Maf/Map
AFR
what else?

as far as ignition components im at a lose. havent looked into that yet... :|
what do you suggest. MSD?
what all do i need? distributor, coil etc.
should i upgrade to duraspark?
or petronix whats good?

i think thats all i have for now. :wow: thanks for just reading this let alone if anyone responds lol.

I bought the preassembled board from diyautotune. Also a relay board is a fantastic idea, got one of those but put it together. There aren't any fiddly bits to solder. Get the cable if you don't have the tools to make one, and the console cable to go to your computer. I used a Cisco router cable.

I made the harness and got all the sensors from bits stripped from a junkyard find. I believe it was from a 3.8 Cougar. I got the 2-bbl injection TBI unit as well, and an adapter from CI. Still haven't run the new fuel lines, but it runs on the old carb and computer-controlled TFI distributor made from a 2.3L bottom and top bits from a 3.8. There's a couple threads on its construction in this forum.

You can go port injected by putting the bungs into the runners. It should work.

I am working on a 89 Mustang LX convertible with 2.3L EFI and T-5 5 speed.

I have A inline six K-member from a 1981 Mustang and the engine is from same 81 Mustang so I have brackets and rear sump oilpan.

IIRC the K-member front holes bolt right up but you need to mark and drill the rear holes.

I have modified a 2.3L OHC distributor by relocating a 200 inline six distributor gear on shaft and, and adding a reluctor from a 3.8L Mustang with TFI ignition. This will allow me ot plug the distributor into the factory ignition harness.

I have the EEC-IV adapter kit that plugs into the factory computer harness and the other end has the cable connection to plug into a Megasquirt II computer. Still have not figured out how to add two more injectors to the factory harness.

MSD makes a custom fuel rail and injector plug. You slip plugs onto injectors, slide in the universal rail and then mark where you want to TIG the plugs onto the rail at, add ends and voilia you now have a custom fule rail.

You can go with a C4 automatic with few problems and parts for auto install are easy to find.

Going manual transmission install is more of a headache on a Fox Body. My 89LX has a T5 5 speed. There are only two bellhousings. If you are lucky enough to get ahold of a SROD 4speed bell housing offered in early Fox Mustangs on the inline six you can easily adapt this bell housing to a T5. The T5 matches up but you will need to add one or two bolt holes to bolt it up properly. The SROD bell housing uses a cable clutch setup which makes it easy to put in a Fox body.

I have never found a SROD bell housing so I have a 67 3.03 bell housing and a T5 adapter plate. I got the flywheel from Tom's Bronco parts.

The 67 bell housing is intended for a rod type linkage. The only way to make it work in a Fox body is to use a Hydraulic clutch kit with a external slave to push the clutch fork. I do not recommend the internal Turbo Coupe type hydraulic actuator because they are notorious for leaking and destroying the throw out bearing.

There are some kits and pieces you can buy online but be prepared to spend about $500 for a complete kit.

Anlushac11":2z1fwo69 said:
I have modified a 2.3L OHC distributor by relocating a 200 inline six distributor gear on shaft and, and adding a reluctor from a 3.8L Mustang with TFI ignition.
I was just rebuilding a distributor and I found that the 2.3 shaft was shorter than the 200.
At least the one I have is, anyways.
Perhaps you can verify this?

Hhmm i will def have to research more about getting spark.

I do wanna go port injecton. Although if it gets it running i might settle for the TBI =/

MS parts:
Preassembled ecu
Realy board(whats the purpose?)
Custom harness with sensors from 3.8
Custom TFI dist.
TBI
And Adapter.

OR

Fast XFI(get someone else to do it lol)
TB
Injectors in the Ports, Custom fuel rail
Dist

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... -p-32.html

Though the Relay/Power Board is not required, it is a convenience and reduces the chance of miswiring during the installation. The relay board provides a central place for all of the required relays, fuse protection, and external wiring for the MegaSquirt ECU. If you are installing MegaSquirt in a previously fuel injected engine you may be able to reuse all of your existing relays. If you are fuel injecting a previously carbureted engine you will need to install relays for the main ECU power, Fuel Pump, and FIdle circuit. You can do this manually or you can use the Relay Board to simplify this process.

It makes wiring soo much easier, makes it so you can easily connect and disconnect wires if needed.

Awesome thanks for the tip. so if i jacked the wiring harness from a late model 3.8 i could rewire it with the relayboard to work on the 3.3?

ill see if opening that link doesnt ake m work computer explode.

If your going to get a 3.8L harness and run it through the factory wiring you dont really need the relay but as Wallaka pointed out it makes troubleshooting or servicing unit easier.

My 89LX is a Speed density system EFI which is similar to the type of EFI that Megasquirt uses. I am not planning to use relays and plan to use as much factory equipment as possible.

I have a complete fuel rail, runners, injectors, T-body and all of the wires for a 200/250 efi Crossflow! All you need is the head, cam and MS ECU. Yhe Ford AU stock ecu is crap. While you are at it, might as well do a EDS6 ignition and BAM! you are there.

I am building the same thing. Have 2 or 3 of everything. BUT, if you want all out power, an aussiespeed with TBI will grant you much better ET's.

Cheers and Good luck hunting!

haha again bayrunner on top of things.

thanks all. i will be doin abunch more research as well as cleaning out my garage haha.

thatll take years... :banghead:

Bayrunner":1ycg9lii said:
I have a complete fuel rail, runners, injectors, T-body and all of the wires for a 200/250 efi Crossflow! All you need is the head, cam and MS ECU. Yhe Ford AU stock ecu is crap. While you are at it, might as well do a EDS6 ignition and BAM! you are there.

I am building the same thing. Have 2 or 3 of everything. BUT, if you want all out power, an aussiespeed with TBI will grant you much better ET's.

Cheers and Good luck hunting!

I had thought of this before as well. Get the harness, head and bits for an OZ efi and just use a megasquirt to fix the bad ecu... might be easier and you can get x-flow or adapt it all to a us or CI head.

The Au efi harness swap sounds like a good idea.

I am looking at this right now: http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... gory_Code=
in addition to this:
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... SystemKits

going from basically just the engine and trans in to full efi system.

what else would i need?
bungs in the log with the injectors in them
and what ford stuff can i use to avoid spending to much

i am willing to spend but wanna do as little work and tuning cutting and splicing cables and wiring harnessed etc. as of right now.

Back