cranikng RPM but no spark

Army of Six

*posted at MS forums also..

I have been running with fuel only for a while now and decided to try and run spark control. it is a Ford 240 that has a points distributor BUT i pulled the points and am running a pertronix unit. I pulled the vacuum advance, i pulled the mechanical advance weights and added heavy springs to keep the base plate from advancing.

for wiring i have the red wire of the petronix to the pos coil, the black wire of the pertronix to the tach input WITH a 1K pullup resistor. and i am running the from the relay board S5 terminal to the neg side of the coil.

i am getting RPMs a while cranking and fuel but no spark output. all my other tables and setting are pretty much like in the mega manual

any ideas?

ok, got it running, i didnt have the jumpers set right at the JS10, IGNOUT,IGNBIN etc. she is running (barely) trying to get the timing dialed in but that will have to wait as my the battery in my laptop needs charging.

With that setup you now have a trigger signal coming from the pertronix that can be changed by rotating the dizzy just like you did in the old days. You have a trigger offset you can set in the MS. You have your timing tables in the MS. Thats all fine except both of the MS settings have nothing to do with where the rotor is in relation to the terminal on the cap. You may be firing the spark at the right time based on the engines position but the rotor may not be aligned with the proper terminal. When I have worked on this type of setup I have hacked holes in an old cap so I could see the rotor going around. You then use a timing light on that terminal to see how well aligned you are. With non MS setup you have to manipulate the breaker plate so it stays in the same place (trigger still timed to engine) while you rotate the dizzy to align the terminals. With MS in theory you should be able to back up the dizzy say 10* to improve your alignment but then change your trigger offset by 10* to get the timing back where you want it.

I hope I was able to explain this. Its sort of hard to grasp but once you get it, its easy and like most things in MS its really easy to adjust.

* A B O R T *

Im tired of dicken with this POS setup :banghead: Man I was able to get my old Pontiac up and running with a Holley Commander 950 with complete timing control. i had Noooooooo idea it was going to be this big of a pain in the a$$ to get it running with a mega squirt. I cant even get this thing to idle now :banghead: Im glad i didnt tack weld the advance plate so it should be smooth transition to get it back to where it was last week...great, and now i just jinxed that.

Abort may not be necessary.

Describe your problems some. Does it crank up and then die? Does it idle for a little bit and then die?

EFI is just like a carburetor. It has a choke in terms of cold start enrichments, the after start enrich functions like the electric heater on the choke. Accel enrichments are the same as an accelerator pump. Its just numbers and not a screwdriver.

Back