Has anybody used a GM ECU/setup

spartman

Have a ECU from a S-10 that ran a 4.3 v6 and was wondering if anybody has tried to run one of these setups on their engines?

I would be putting it on a 240 with a Offy C intake and adapter.

I would think it would work fairly decent and have the idle control as well.

Got the idea from an IH board where they have been putting a GM TBI setup from 350's on their V-8's.

What do you guys think?

Its just a matter of the tuning/ programing. The 4.3,5.0,5.7 throttle bodies were the same. Only the 7.4 was slightly larger. Injectors were different sizes. There were only a few GM ecu's that were live flash able the rest you have to remove a chip and install it in a chip burner to make / save changes. Its apparently doable but I got frustrated looking for information. The people that have it appear to be hanging on to it and only want to sell you small pieces at a time. The good thing about the GM stuff is its really easy to find and cheap because there was so much of it. Those were on every GM truck and SUV from 87 to 95 and there are plenty of those in the junkyards now not to mention plenty still on the road so even new parts are easy to find.

fordconvert said:
Its just a matter of the tuning/ programing. The 4.3,5.0,5.7 throttle bodies were the same. Only the 7.4 was slightly larger. Injectors were different sizes. There were only a few GM ecu's that were live flash able the rest you have to remove a chip and install it in a chip burner to make / save changes. Its apparently doable but I got frustrated looking for information. The people that have it appear to be hanging on to it and only want to sell you small pieces at a time. The good thing about the GM stuff is its really easy to find and cheap because there was so much of it. Those were on every GM truck and SUV from 87 to 95 and there are plenty of those in the junkyards now not to mention plenty still on the road so even new parts are easy to find.

Well here is the site I found that told me everything about them so far. Maybe this will help you?

http://www.justih.org/Binder-Bench/foru ... c0ff1&f=21

My first project research stage was 3-4 years ago so there may be more info out there now.

I will check out the link. May come in handy for other reasons since I may be putting a head gasket in a 345 tomorrow.

Maybe you could use your sonic screwdriver to flash the chips?

I dont know how many times I wished I had one of those screwdrivers!!!

I tried to run my 67 240 with one from a v-6 truck and it did work but it wanted to dump to much fuel at idle, but might be a bad injector(s) or the fact that it was jury rigged in there at the time.

When I get the truck running and on the road again I might try to rig it up again.

I'm building a mild blown 350 TBI and brian Harris at TBI chips.com is the most knowledgeable I have dealt with, give him a call and see what he says and a store on ebay run by ragged offers a ton of parts for cheap for TBI set ups.

I seem to have alot of trouble with this. This link will take you to the original post if you type completely into your browser or scroll back to my original post June 6 2009.

You may want to look at the EFI setup on the 4.0L Jeep Cherokee.
Displacement is close, 242 vs 240, so the ECU fuel map may work without reprogramming.

More important than displacement alone is the horsepower/cube comparison of the two engines. volumetric efficiency, if you will.

The ECU is programed to try to meet certain AFR targets based on predicted power outputs. It takes x-amount of fuel/hr to produce y-horses. If you grab the EFI from 3.0 liter M3 and drop it on a 3.3 liter ford, it will not work because the engine efficiencies are so far apart.

The most important factor will be the chip, if you get everthing else close call Brian at TBICHIPS.com and ask him if he will try and help you and also RAGGED on ebay sells tbi parts for really cheap, I did a modified 350 chevy a few months ago and it was one time and he nailed it, all I had to do was adjust the fuel pressure and I haven't touched it since.

I have been thinking of this.

I have a OBD II 4.3 s10 I am currently doign a 5.7 swap on.

I have a tuner so I can go in and reprogram at will (turn off emissions stuff, injector size, etc......even control a 4L60E trans with it)

it uses a simple crank trigger (I know the V8 is only 4 tooth.....haven't pulled apart the V6 timing cover yet....I am guessing it has 3 teeth or something)

the "cam" sensor is a simple reluctor wheel that is just 50/50. I think a TFI dissy could maybe be swapped or at least modified to take the GM pickup and the wheel reworked to give the proper signal.

I have a spare ECU and harness bits laying around (might be a whole spare harness soon) so I have been kicking around the idea as somethign to try on the 250 XFlow motor. One idea being if I had a new dizzy housing made up (locked timing as I could adjus tint he ECU) I could run a GM spider style cap to clear the intake.

that or just go MS with a ford DIS setup

I think I paid like $350 or something for my JET DST setup for the truck. it came with 4 licenses on it for that price. it will do just about anything OBDII and GM. I can get "black box" S10 ecm's all day long for $25 and engine harnesses for $12 at the upull. the 4.3L vortec comes with a crab style cap which once I start mocking up I will see how well it fits under the xflow intake. I will need s custom dizzy but I am looking at having the GM body turned down and the ford body bored out and using eithe ra "press fit" or some epoxy to join the two. the shaft will prob be a ford shaft modded for the GM reluctor on top. timing is locked and controlled through the crank and ECU so you just have to get the phasing close on assembly (IE get it on the right tooth) the crank trigger is just a simple three tooth deal (small diameter and sits under the timing cover)

this is all for my spare play motor that has no ignition (or internals) if I can get the dizzy worked out I will prob just give this all a go for sure then (since I will only need a crank trigger made up)

Back