Fuel Injection, where to start?

sortafast

So my wife has a 66 mustang with the 200 in it. The long haul plan is to fully restore the thing and turn it into a streetable fun car with some power and good handling (or atleast as good as we can get in a 66 mustang). Part of that plan is getting one of the aluminum heads and putting EFI on it. I will admit that I am the most knowledgeable mechanic, but I can handle my own. But with EFI there is a lot of stuff that needs to happen to make it work and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at this point. I managed to get a nearly complete TBI EFI kit off of a chevy van of some sort for basically free. I am thinking I would rather run individual injectors instead of the TBI and the wife wants some sort of forced induction, so those are 2 more things I need to think about. Any way, where is a good place to start getting the info on what I will need to do? Any must read books? Websites? I only ask because I am not a huge fan of having to buy expensive parts only to find out down the road that they won't work.

-Dave

Check out the EZ Fast EFI systems. They are relatively cheap and self tune. No need for a laptop or anything. I don't know if they offer one that will fit on the 200, but its worth checking.

As far as I know the ez fast won't work with boost and sortafast you really need to figure out exactly what you are going to do, because you threw out to many variables to get on track to help you, if you go all out the first thing I would do is get the proper cam to optmize all the money that may be spent on blown MPFI. As far as I know I am the only one that has done this on the 200, if you need help, PM me.

That is where Megasquirt still has the advantage, its almost infinitely configurable and programmable. The downside to all that flexibility is you have to understand it to use it. Even if you dont plan to use Megasquirt reading the Megamanual is worth the trouble because they do a good job of explaining a lot of the concepts.

Thanks for the replies. Basically I am looking for information on what all I will need parts wise and the general theory. Since I am talking years on this project I really want to take my time to learn and understand it as well as plan it out as best and as properly as I can. I am thinking the MS is the best way to go at this point and I don't mind the whole DIY thing, the wife's Dad (the guy who bought her the car in the first place) is a computer engineer and an electrical maniac so that part should be easy. Plus he restores the 60's mustangs for folks so I know I am in good hands. I just want to do as much of this as I possibly can myself so I can make this car somewhat unique and have to buy tires a lot sooner than I would need to other wise :eek:

ok so i did some googling and read some stuff here and there and I think I have the basics kind of down. DIYautotune.com answered a ton of my questions. Now my question is this: how did or do you do the fuel rail for an MPFI set up on these? Is there something off the shelf or will I have to make my own? I have a mill, a lathe and have access to some other machinery including a HAAS VF3 if need be.

DIY was where I bought much of my goodies and they seem like good people.

I believe that places like DIY will sell you the fuel rail by the foot and seems like I saw a reasonably priced step bit that you need to drill the rail for the injectors. IF you have the mill you should not have any problems building the rail and drilling the head for injectors.

Extrudabody may still have all the specs for the fuel rail they made for me along with the brackets,but it sounds like you may be able to make one, I don't think it would be very expensive, if you can do the megasuirt it will be the cheapest and also a gm TB coverted to an air valve is the easiest and cheapest TB you can find, our junk yard here in town sells them for 40 bucks, just make sure the throttle shaft isn't worn out, 87-95 4.3 to 5.7 will all be the same except the plug for iac and tps may be different, 87-89 is most popular, but all are easy to find plugs for, I think you might have mentioned having one already, if you blow this set up with say an m90 at 9.1 CR you will probably have to stay 6 psi and under with premium gas, if you use a good cam grind for being blown, it will blow your mind, or you going turbo or supercharger. I had to put a thumb throttle on my bronco because the bottom end is huge and when I was bouncing around and not maintaing an even throttle I would be spinning all four tires since I have 100% lockers front and back and thats not a good thing crawling.

Broncitis":2s7xwzxj said:
Extrudabody may still have all the specs for the fuel rail they made for me along with the brackets,but it sounds like you may be able to make one, I don't think it would be very expensive, if you can do the megasuirt it will be the cheapest and also a gm TB coverted to an air valve is the easiest and cheapest TB you can find, our junk yard here in town sells them for 40 bucks, just make sure the throttle shaft isn't worn out, 87-95 4.3 to 5.7 will all be the same except the plug for iac and tps may be different, 87-89 is most popular, but all are easy to find plugs for, I think you might have mentioned having one already, if you blow this set up with say an m90 at 9.1 CR you will probably have to stay 6 psi and under with premium gas, if you use a good cam grind for being blown, it will blow your mind, or you going turbo or supercharger. I had to put a thumb throttle on my bronco because the bottom end is huge and when I was bouncing around and not maintaing an even throttle I would be spinning all four tires since I have 100% lockers front and back and thats not a good thing crawling.
extrudabody was the place I was looking for for the fuel rail, but just couldn't quite remember. Its been a very long time since I even remotely thought about doing anything to the stang. Now this next spring we will finally start having some $$ to throw at it, and the more I look at it, the easier its looking to be able to this EFI thing myself. Getting excited to be able to move the car out of the garage with out have to have a herd of people over to push it back in

Back