EFI tank conversion

alright so I am goign to give up my old homebuilt tank (ended up being 30 gal and weighs a ton)

new tanks are now available for my fairlane so I was thinking of maybe just going that route. So would it be possible to mod the tank for an intank pump? the sender opening is pretty small on that stock tank so I am not sure how easy it will be to feed in the sender and pump as a unit. Assuming I can get it to fit in with smoe wiggling.....how would I build it?

I was thinking of some SS machine screws, a nylon sleeve and washers and maybe a couple orings all stacked up to get power into the tank using the stock sender. I am not sure if there will be room for a return line there so I will prob need to have that welded into the tank.

option two is to cut a big old hole in the new tank and make a plate that bolts in with a pump assembly (maybe some misc factory pickup?) only issue there is I have a trunk floor so if it is on top I would have to make a raised area for it to fit into (not too big of a deal for me)

option three is to say the hell with it and just sump the tank and run an external pump and return on the stock sender line/fuel pickup

:) Hi Xflow_Fairlane.My 2 cents.It would more than likely be easier to get an electric pump
that delivers the required pressure,than to try and mod your NEW fuel tank.
Cheaper too,if you ruin the new tank.Might have to get a pressure regulator,but in the long run,Much cheaper.
Leo

If you can accomplish the pump unit within the tank, it makes for a better anti-drain back and anti-sloshing when turning corners.

Since the EFI pump tends to pump more fuel from and to the tank (supply and return), any period of time the pickup is out of the fuel (cornering with low fuel level), the pump will suck air and send that air through the system, causing annoying lean conditions. I have this problem on my 74 F-250 with EFI. I also have a long tank mounted behind the seat that gravity feeds, so the fuel is much more likely to go to the other side on any kind of corner. The old carbs were much less sensitive to any air in the system due to a return-less fuel system and slower rate of pumping.

Back