EDIS on aussie motor

not sure this is the best spot so here it goes....

I have my 250 aussie motor I am slowly trying to cram in my 62 fairlane. I am thinking of ditching the stock plenum to make the throttle easier to deal with (being a LHD car) and to clear the shock tower brace (hits #6 runner) But to put in a sheetmetal plenum I will pretty much have zero access to the dizzy. Looking around it seems I can put an EEC4 era EDIS6 setup on the motor and have it replace the stock TFI dizzy and just run a stock points dizzy (for an oil pump drive)

is this a crazy Idea?

No reason it shouldn't work either as a stand alone or with the MS II. You'll need a toothed wheel and a bracket for the pickup.

I've done it, and have been driving it for about 3years. I can email you a toothwheel pattern that's the right size for the front of the (optional) power steering pulley.

My setup runs a MS2 and uses an Australian EF-AU1 Falcon coilpack, although you would most likely use something off the EDIS doner motor.

You have to make sure you know what engine the ECM is from for the firing order so you can compare and match firing orders. Or, it will take a little time to figure out where the ECM is firing the EDIS. If you use the MS, you have almost limitless options on timing and dwell where as the EEC is all factory settings to some V6 engine.

If you have an extra distributor, you can chop it and make it a neat oil pump drive instead of having a distributor cap meaningless sitting there with no wires on it. I did that with my 300 and so far it has worked well.

EDIS is a great system. IMO, probably one of the best ignition systems available especially considering how cheap they can be had.

If you plan to EFI the crossflow, just go MS and don't fight with the ford EEC. If you just want ignition, you can always just go with Megajolt to control it (I'm pretty sure MJ will work with EDIS).

Megajolt will work with EDIS and the 36-1 toothed wheel.

wagon, do you have a copy of the ignition table you could share so others have a place to start?

well things have developed....

I got my 350 EFI S10 up and running and in the process I have collected alot of spare GM parts. when I move back to TN next weekend I am digging out my old 4.3L dizzy and seeing about having it melded with a ford dizzy. this will give me a crab cap setup to clear the crossflow intake easier. I will need a 3 tooth crank trigger but have all that left over from my 4.3L so will just need to make a bracket to hold the sensor (might see if I can fit it under the timing cover maybe) but the end result will be running on a GM OBDII ecu (I have a tuning setup for this and datalogger/WB) just the plan at thise point in time.

I think the tough part will be making the new dizzy body from two and the same on the shaft for it. the GM body is smaller in diameter so I might just do a bushing on it to fit it in the ford block. but I think the shaft will be alot of fun to get working right. I am thinking that pressing two shafts together above the drive gear should be fine. I was thinking of having them welded but afraid it might not stay true. should have something to report in a couple weeks.

:) Hi Xflow.Something that you might try.Center drill each shaft half.Pin them together.
Then jig them up and do the welding.It worked for a friend of mine several years ago.Just might work for you.He also had a custom full length bushing made out of "oillite" for the shaft to ride in.
Leo

Back