EFI AFR Maps and Cam changes

CobraSix

2K+
VIP
Was looking over lots of MS information and was looking at the AFR maps like this:

http://www.megamanual.com/afrtable.GIF

All seems pretty easy. By looking at the map this way, it appears the good power band for this map starts around 2000 RPM. Now, that is debatable I'm sure, but lets assume that map is set up for a Cam with a powerband at 2000 RPM.

Now, lets say I put in another cam that has a power band that comes in at 2600 RPM. Would the cruise portion of the AFR map stay the same, or expand to the right and essentially push the richer AFR mixtures further right. I know it's just a theory question.

If the AFR table stays relatively the same, then does the VE table shift in response to a new cam (assume the same lift, just different duration). I know lift will have an effect on the VE table, which is why I assume it to be the same for this argument.

The AFR target table is one of the things I dont get about the newer self learning stuff. When I did my MS they had a auto tune option that worked alright but it would adjust to the target table that you needed to manually modify. That is where every car is likely different because slight engine mods and drive ratios. I never got a chance to find someone that was smart enough to ride with me looking at the computer and figure out that table. I tried doing it myself from logs but its really time consuming to do a run then find a safe place to pull over, crunch the data, modify tables, then do another run. I suppose if you had enough sensors like transmission gear and speed sensor you could possibly write software that could figure out the 'modes' and fill out the targets pretty well. Maybe I am wrong and you just dont need targets anymore, the computers and sensors are smart enough and fast enough that they can figure it out what you need without a target to shoot for?

Back