Megasquirt Swap

Rockaholic

I have never done something this extensive and the main website for megasquirt is a bit confusing to be honest.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I plan on wiring an MAF to it, and eventually adding a turbo. Eventually this will be a very involved customizable fuel injection system. The build will not be anything way over the top, i plan on pushing around 11psi maybe 15 psi with a good rebuild (still doing research). Not looking so much looking at numbers but want this to be a great daily driver with some pep in its step.

Any links that are fairly easy to follow and explain would be great. Thx, Cameron

Starting with MAF and adding some headers(which won't affect it any). Want to get it installed and functioning before i change injectors, fuel pump, cam, modified head, etc.

At this point just looking to replace my stock one so i can learn the system and work any kinks out before i add the expensive parts and risk breaking something.

With the smog equipment though, what do i exactly take off? Is there a write up already that shows a basic addition?

Everything is going to stay stock besides MAF and headers until i work the kinks out.

I take it that you are starting with a stock EFI engine then. What year? Any particular reason you want to use MAF? Seems to me I've run across information that said speed density usually works better if you are going to boost it. My engine is stock speed density, so I didn't pay much attention.

The learning curve with Megasquirt can be a bit steep, but you have the right idea by getting things to work well stock, then modify from there. The Megamanual contains a lot of information and can be somewhat overwhelming. It's gotten that way because over the years Megasquirt has grown and expanded to the point that it is very versatile, and the manual tries to cover it all. On top of this it has gone through several transformations, from MS1, which I use a modified version of, to MS2, and now MS3. There are two main forums that are very good, the original MS-EFI forum, and the newer MS-Extra forum.

Matt Cramer at DIY Autotune is very knowledgeable and good to work with. I'd suggest contacting him and tell him about your project. He can advise you the best way to go and supply you with almost everything you may need. When you are to the point of getting things up and running I'll be happy to share my tuning information with you so that at least you'll have a good place to start from.

Already have contacted and he replied. So far from what we have discussed i will need a ECU and a separate GPIO for the megashift for transmission control. So i am off to a start, Just emailed him back and i have always heard it was easier to fine tune a turbo set up with MAF? Am i wrong? As long as i don't do an entire MAF ECU swap into my truck and do the whole OBDII swap and all i do it buy an independent MAF that i can work into the megasquirt module i would think it might be easier. But that is a theory from reading some set ups. I truly don't know.

But I am going to print up and read a bunch more and try to get things straight and see what i can come up with. I will keep you all posted!

I have a 1995 F150 with the 4.9L and E4OD

Interesting. I didn't realize that the F series 4.9s came with the E4OD. Somehow I was under the impression that it was only the E series. We have the same set up, or very close to it.

I could be wrong about the preference of SD/MAF with a boosted engine, as I mentioned, I didn't pay close attention to it because it didn't apply to my application. Matt can steer you right on this. I would suggest that it might be harder to set a MAF system up though. I think that MAF was only used stock in '96, and maybe not in all cases. No matter, whatever you prefer, it can be done.

Getting back to the E4OD. I've been running my E150 on MS for over 7 years now. At the time I started MS was fuel only. That's why I did a lot of developemnet work to get MS1 to handle TFI ignition, thanks to the initial developement by Magnus Bjelk and his MegasquirtnSpark code. Also at this time there was only one possibility for aftermarket transmission control I was aware of. That was built by Karl Baumann of Baumann Engineering. I was in correspondance with Carl with the hopes that I could use his controller, but it lacked features that I wanted so ended up having to build my own.

Since that time MS has progressed a lot, and the GPIO transmission controller, which was only a concept when I needed one, is now a reality. I think it does support the E4OD at this time, but I don't know for sure. If it does, then this simplifies things for you a lot. Again, Matt is the man to consult. From what you've said so far I suspect that MS2 and the GPIO for transmission control would be the best way for you to do this.

I will be out of Province for a week or so, but in the mean time I would encourage you to get as many more opinions on your project as possible. I look forward to talking with you again when I can get back to this forum.

Will definitely keep this updated. Tax return is making this possible :) but overall i have a lot of research and emailing back and forth with DIY. I want to do this the right way the FIRST time. I was thinking of doing an MS3. Has a lot more potential and if i ever decided to add a V8(that will never happen in this truck) but overall to another i can use the same board and set up just use the feature for up to 8 injectors. Just a thought i was thinking. Been looking at stroking a 460 and putting it in a ranger(of the lack of traction!). But thats not any time soon. This truck will be fully built up and functioning before i start that one. One at a time, get to many and non will get finished. Thank you for your input, i am on 2 forums right now and everyone keeps pinging me hear but i can't find anything on MS3 for out motors. I guess there is a first for everything….

I bought a MS3 when they had a promo going (18% off)

wish I had gone for the 3X at the time.

If you are looking to run a basic batch or bank fire setup a MS2 will do it jsut fine (as will a MS1 on the extra code)

The SEFI MS3x setup is very flashy looking but really all you gain from the drivability standpoint is getting fuel trims for each cylinder (if you are setup up to tune each one on a EGT setup) and cleaner idle emissions fromt he SEFI (which there are hacks for MS1 with the extra code to run SEFI)

my MS3 setup cost as much as a 2 when I bought it and all I have to do is drop in a 3X board and I can have SEFI running (since I have some cam sensors sitting here and a 36-1 wheel to mount)

no need for a MAF. Just get a wideband with a controller and use that. The whole thing about MAF is it lets you make more mods on a STOCK tune before getting away from you and gives better part throttle and idle mixture control (when working properly) If you spend the $50 for the auto-tune feature of megatune and have a wideband then tunign will go pretty fast.

Back