Turbo 200 Build - EFI

one70six

I've seen a lot of topics covering MegaSquirt on the forum and the net but not too much about other EFI setups. I'm really interested in Mike Winterboer's '69 Mustang SportsRoof build that Will and Kelly McLearran built using the FAST EFI system. Would a FAST system work with a 200 turbo build given the right injectors, etc.? I like the idea behind that type of setup and I looks like it worked great for the 273 engine. Any thoughts or tips are welcome! :D

Here's the article:
http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/engine/mufp_0711_turbo_charged_six_cylinder_mustang/

FAST is ok, but it doesn't seem optimal for a street driven rig. It took me a while, but I decided to go with the AEM EMS. Just get a mustang box (30-1400) or a Honda box (30-1020 or 30-1050) and you can use them as universal boxes. Just need to make a 12 tooth trigger wheel (Motec makes one) and fab up a cam sync sensor with your distributor. Will make a very easy coil on plug or LS coil conversion as well as a great SEFI system.

We're using a Simple Digital Systems (SDS) setup in Kelly's Falcon now. Works very well! Easy to tune, no laptop required, easy to install (although we were already setup from a fuel line standpoint!).
The hardest part was fab'ing up a bracket to hold the crank trigger.

Here's their link.
http://www.sdsefi.com/index.html
Tell them I sent ya!
Later,
Will

Thanks Will I'll give them a shout when I'm ready.
I do have a few more questions though, did you have to fab up the CI Alum head for use with the EFI setup? Also I what type of throttle body are you running?

Thanks

I used SDS on the crossflow when I first put it together.

It is definitely simple and relatively easy to get running, but I would recommend a wide-band O2 sensor to help with tuning. Trying to do it by ear and butt-dyno isn't as effective.

Yeah I am definitely going to run a wide band even if I decide to go with a carb setup to make it easier on myself when dialing everything in.

Personally I would find a competent dyno shop familiar with tuning turbo charged engines. The money will be well spent. It can be very hard getting the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing in the right place, at the right time on a turbo charged engine. On a dyno they can load the engine and tune it for each boost and rpm range. In actual driving use its hard to get a good reading because things change so fast. Once they are done, you can fine tune it from there. Make sure to record any changes so you can always go back. Good luck.

Back