TBI off an 85 thunderbird

67chrrybucket

I found a throttle body set up out of a 85 thunderbird has 2 injectors looks like a 2 barrel carb i had some questions could i mount this on a 2 barrel converted head? is there a way to make it work effectivly with a supercharged 200? and could i put in bigger injectors? or would this be just a big waste of time as always thanks for the help

Ford called it CFI, similar to GM's TBI but not as well supported in the aftermarket as GM's. It was used on V6s and V8s in the early 80s, and had a built in fuel pressure regulator. I read that the Ford CFI used higher pressure injectors than the GM TBI.

You should be able to install it on a 2Bbl converted head. As for resizing the injectors, here is a post about that:
http://forums.musclemustangfastfords.co ... -by-color/

Hope this helps.

so not too much in the aftermarket but wouldnt a 59/lb injector be a heck of an upgrade if you could figure out how to get it to pulse right for a 6 cylinder?

I've used four of these injectors (low impedance 46 lb/hr) in a megasquirted 2.5L Mustang turbo. Always wanted to use one of these TBI setups on a 2bbl intake (same pattern as Autolite/Motorcraft 2100). I would ditch the idle stepper motor and use a PWM air bypass (incorporated in MS1 V3.57), and fit high impedance injectors. I get mine from Racetronix. http://www.racetronix.com

The fuel pressure is adjustable on these TBI units. Just knock out the cap and adjust with an allen wrench.

With two monster high z injectors it would support more than 400 HP.

Ok this is my first deeling with the cfi i knew about the adjustable press reg but the idle step motor and the pwm air bypass i am not sure what those are will that help with getting it to pulse with a 200 and what pound injectors would u use? mech rick thanks for the info

The absolute easy way is to get a complete gm tbi, figure out what your fuel needs are, I would guess between 160 and 180lbs. Get the correct map sensor and probably a heated 02 sensor if on headers and there are plenty of people that can burn a chip for you, old technology, but very effective and simple and tons of parts available and cheap, one of the best places is tbichips.com if I remember correctly.

Ok so i would be looking for a 4.3 gm tbi and map sensor and big injectors and im assuming a 4 wire wideband o2 sensor before i invest time and money would these be a better easier way to tune for a supercharged 200? and would the tbi require any mods to handle supercharger?

Nothing wrong with the GM tbi setups. But you have to choose whether you want to tune it yourself (Megasquirt) or pay someone to tune it for you (GM).

Another problem is the GM throttle body has a unique mounting flange. As I noted earlier, the appeal of the Ford CFI throttle body is that it matches a standard Ford/Holley 2 barrel mounting pattern. Any 2bbl intake or adapter will accept it.

No reason you couldn't use the Ford throttle body with the GM computer either. Both use 0-5v throttle position sensors, and both use steppers for idle control, although I don't know if the Ford stepper will work with the GM drivers. You could always add a Bosch idle air bypass that uses heat for idle control and skip electronic idle control completely.

Can you use a wideband with the stock GM computer? I thought these were hacked factory setups which used narrow band sensors.

PWM idle control is a pintle air bypass that opens and allows more air with an increase in duty cycle (used in virtually every Ford from '86 on). Stepper motor idle control uses a motor to control a pintle (GM) or a extending shaft (Ford CFI). They have four wires, and 'steps' in 90 degree increments from signals from the computer. I believe you would need MS2 or a GM computer to run a stepper.

The Ford or Bosch two wire PWM idle valves pull more current and require a bigger transistor. It's a simple mod to the V3.0 board (I'm running one on my F150), and is incorporated in the V3.57 board.

i found a phenolic spacer that will adapt the gm tbi to a 2 barrell set up so really either is an option i already have the cfi and a carb so i can go either way i like the idea of self tuning but it sounds like more $ in electronics its a tuff decision but what ever will be best for a supercharged engine is what i want i can learn figure out whatever i need to get it right i just want the most bang for the buck :beer:

I have three of those CFI units that I got off ebay. Pretty much finished with the restoration of my car, so hoping to motivate to get that unit installed over the winter. It looks like autozone and others carry rebuild kits for the CFI units (motorcraft). Since my head is modded for a weber carb and there are readily available weber to holley adapters, this is a simple swap for me. The bore spread on the GM TBI units makes it a non-starter for me.

Dear FalconFanatic-I live in the Boulder area and am building a supercharged 200 Mustang. I'd like to know how your Falcon mods are going now.

Mike

Aha! I didn't kill the thread.

Hi Mike,
Oh boy, a car friend in Boulder! Falcon is coming together nicely. Been out of town for a few weeks, but i get back this weekend and will probably take my car to the StarLite Classic Car Show on Sunday. The car is pretty much all together and I'm in the sorting stage: re-curving the distributor, getting the exhaust to not rub on the frame, getting the alignment right, etc. Once that's all sorted I think I'll re-gear to 3.50:1 as my 3.25:1 is too long legged, especially now that I can reliably pull to 5,500rpm. The move to 5280' hasn't done miracles for my power, which is a bummer since I spent a pretty penny on my engine before I left DC. Been considering supercharging and turbos, so I'd love to have a look at your project. Where are you located?

I just realized this is the EFI thread, so that's probably what your question is about. Here's the scoop: I have an Electromotive Tec-II unit, which is FI with integrated coil packs. I also have a couple of CFI units, both of which need a rebuild. To finish the project I need:

1.. install return fuel line
2. install correct fuel pump (and probably fashion a surge tank)
3. install toothed wheel and sensor on harmonic balancer

Then I can install the CFI unit using an adapter, which I already have, and wire the whole thing up. Wiring is pretty straightforward, although I'm sure it will take a few minutes. After that, a mere 72 months of tweaking and I'm sure it will run great :rolflmao: . Right now, however, I've got it running fine on the weber and the DUI, so I'm going to enjoy until the winter and then spend money beautifying my interior. Also, I might have a big business project come together over the next few months, in which case I'll drop some coin on a CI aluminum head and use that as the basis for my FI conversion. In short, the FI conversion is waiting for now.

Update:
spent part of yesterday helping my friend tune his Z which is equipped with the Electomotive TEC unit. The same unit I'll be using on my Falcon. tuning was reasonably straightforward, so now I'm fired up again.

Back