What are the electronic differences between 88-96 years?

clintonvillian

Famous Member
What are the differences in computers, sensors etc. I am assuming about all the wiring harness and sensors are the same. Did the newer models go to the newer ecm? I am assuming all years use a MAF sensor?

Depends on the apt but say for a 300 OBDI 88 until early 95 then about 95 1/2 Mass Air and OBDII

clintonvillian":1vwk11l6 said:
So the earlier models dont have MAF??? really? All of the early mustangs and stuff have them............

Mustangs in Calif got mass air in 1988 and in 50 states in 1989.

all 86,87 and 49 state 5.0L Mustangs in 1988 had speed density.

All were MAP sensor and batch fired injectors until '95. Then as a part of the OBDII rollout, they got MAF and sequential injection. Those trucks (even the sixes) got cam position sensors and crank triggers too. The sequential-injected 4.9L and 5.8L were only around for a couple years making them rare.

The '95-up engine harnesses are significantly changed from the earlier speed density harnesses. They incorporate the underhood fusebox.

MechRick":1oq7ex9d said:
...Those trucks (even the sixes) got cam position sensors and crank triggers too...

The '96 300 does not have a cam sensor or crank trigger. It uses the PIP sensor in the distributor for firing order rather than sensing cam position directly. The sensor assembly on the front of the engine is a misfire sensor not a crank trigger.

I guess I oversimplified my answer....

The differences between the later/earlier EFI systems is in the distributor ('92-up began remote mount TFI; the part number doesn't change through 1996, but Ford starts referencing the distributor connector as CMP after '95 to account for the need to identify #1 cylinder for SEFI), and the addition of a crank trigger on the harmonic balancer (sixes got 3 teeth, eights got 4). It's purpose was to facilitate the misfire monitor for obdII. PIP and CMP both come from the distributor though. Later systems ('97-up) used high data rate EDIS with a 36-1 wheel on the balancer.

There. Should have done it that way the first time but I got lazy...

Not really, unless you are playing around with cams and need mass air, or are trying to squeeze out the very best fuel economy with SEFI. In the former situation you would run out of injector almost immediately...

What type of improvement would you see using the newer system on fuel economy.......are we talking like full mpg's or more like decimals..........I would like to stick with as many "stock" components as I can. If SEFI can be controlled with the stock configurations off of the later models wouldn't that be an easier route than having to mount a triggerwheel and sensor? Swapping out would allow me a good MAF sensor to help with boost control. (MS uses a MAP sensor)

BTW this thing is going to be BUILT, custom cam, cnc ported head, valves, the whole nine yards.

I have to upgrade my system to something, I had originally planned for a MS system. I have a lot of guys telling me to go with a mustang cpu and a card, and then get tuning software for it..........

Which leads me to another question, what software is used with MS systems?

clintonvillian":2cc9h6po said:
BTW this thing is going to be BUILT, custom cam, cnc ported head, valves, the whole nine yards.

The stock SEFI would be outgrown at this point.

Much more than ~200 HP is going to require aftermarket injection.

Megasquirt would be a good option. My next EFI project will probably be MS3. There is a semi-sequential mode in which the injectors are activated once on the intake stroke and once on the back side of the intake valve at the top of the compression stroke (no cam sensor required). Or add a cam sensor for full SEFI with table correction via wideband O2. Much more sophisticated than the stock SEFI, as long as you tune it properly.

My '96 with 3.08 gears got 18. My '94 speed density xcab with 3.55's is getting 17.

Megasquirt software comes in two flavors. Megatune (no longer supported) and Tuner studio. Both are freely distributable, but Tuner Studio has advanced functions for a small fee. Megalog viewer, the companion to Tuner Studio, is a great tuning/diagnostic tool for viewing datalogs in high resolution.

www.tunerstudio.com

So if that's the case then I for sure should plan on mounting and using a 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank?

The cam sensor will run off of the tfi distributor? Is that correct, or do I have to adapt something?

You would have to adapt something. The EEC uses a narrow window on the distributor hall effect to call out #1 cylinder. I'm not sure Megasquirt is capable (software-wise) to decode it.

Most guys use EDIS and a cam sensor fangle from a 5.0L Explorer or something similar.

<edit>
It appears MS3 might actually support Ford signature PIP. It warrants further investigation.

http://msextra.com/doc/ms3/ignition-settings.html

I like ms2 version 3+ but I have heard a lot of folks complaining about ms3 and ms3pro being buggy and poorly supported. A friend of mine has sent his module back to them 3 times in the last year trying to get it working, they sent him the wrong schematic twice and now it looks like he fried it because they told him to put the wrong resistor in the wrong place. The ms2 daughter card arrangement is kind of a kludge in and of itself, I think the more functionality they add the more the inherent weakness in the coding/ firmware archetecture is starting to show up.

Blah blah nerd speak bottom line most of the people I've talked to who build motors and are way smarter than me at this efi stuff have said ms2 is good but the extra headaches and BS associated with ms3 isn't worth marginal gains from sequential fire. Especially if fuel economy and street ability are not important.

IMO, the ms was designed for SBC it is easiest to work with if you let the computer think it is still hooked up to an SBC. Chev sensors from the junkyard and high-z injectors make your life much easier. Hooking up to a 300-400 inch motor with all chev electronics is almost plug and play, trying to make the oem ford work is kind of intimidating especially for a first attempt.

At last to start with it is real easy to set up distributor ignition on ms2. Tfi requires minor rework, a couple jumpers and resistors. It looks like edis is possible with the stock tfi trigger wheel but it is another level of complexity, probably best to stick with conventional dist until you learn the ropes. For my money a computer curved dist. gives 95% of the benefit with 20% of th effort

The cool thing about tfi that Rick is alluding to but I didn't see him say specifically, the trigger wheel has one narrow prong. The oem computer doesn't look like it uses it but an aftermarket computer could use it to know which cylinder is at TDC for an edis setup without needing a crankshaft sensor like a lot of the aftermarket systems use. The obd2 computer might use it I didn't know it was sequential fire...

Does Ms2 have the smart/learn feature as Ms3?

That was my biggest draw to Ms3 is the fact that it is capable of creating its own fuel tables after you setup the initial ones.

Back