an interesting idea i was contemplating for fuel injection

Mercedes and VW stuck with K(E)-Jetronic for *years* - I think largely because they were comfortable with it, but partly because it wasn't drastically inferior to contemporary batch-fired fully-electronic injection. '80s K-Jet vs. '80s L(H)-Jet? Kinda meh once you get over the packaging. There is only one component you *need* to run K-Jet, and that's the metering plate that affixes to the top of the airbox and regulates flow at the injectors. All the other stuff - thermoswitches and air valves, etc. are for emissions or idle compensation or cold/hot enrichment. The thermo-time switch and the warm-up regulator solve enrichment, so with them and the metering plate you'd have a car that runs at least as well as a carb'd car. Since it was in pretty widespread use for over twenty years Bosch CIS ("constant injection system") has a lot of hacks for tuning and you can power double digit or triple digit outputs no problem. It's not a smart system - I mean, it was designed in the '60s! I made pretty good power with my turbocharged 8v Saab using CIS and parts assembled from Volvos and Porsches - but that was back in the day. IMHO, the big issue *today* with CIS is that the newest CIS parts are over twenty years old now and some parts are VERY difficult to find or, best case, you end up buying them from Mercedes or Porsche at very high prices. Keeping a CIS system in good nick in 2014 can be *very* expensive. I long ago converted that Saab to LH (pulsed/batch fired) injection because keeping it running costs nothing except used Mustang fuel injectors every so often. ;)

IMHO, the roadblock to fuel injecting the small six is the bloody intake manifold, and that's a roadblock whether you use constant or pulsed injection. You gotta get those injector bungs installed. After that, whether it's playing with metering plates or plugging values in a table you're going to invest some time. Nice thing about computer-controlled injection is that any decent tuner with a dyno can get you some pretty good tables pretty quickly, whereas metering plates are a bit more of a PITA (though not unlike playing with carb jets!).

Hi rbohm, well thanks to Xctasy's researching the picture and article I mentioned from long ago has now been found. Check out his latest posts near the bottom for link to the HAMB for the old article on the Ak Miller Maverick buildup. And also a picture of the installed mechanical Bosh fuel injection system that Ak Miller had on one of his project cars. Enjoy :nod:

Link to Xctasy's article find
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72632

That is super cool to look at! Ford kinda ended up skipping CIS, didn't they? Straight from carbs to electronic injection.

I picked up a gas Benz engine pump back in 75 while surching for parts for my 3 banger Saab. Got it cheep. Thoughts were to use it on my 200 6. Then I priced the jets they were like 60 bucks each so gave up on it at the time dont even know what I endedup doing with it.

Currently working on a barn find 84 bERTONE x 1/9 that wasnt running last plated and driven in 02

Back