Falcon Fanatic's FI conversion

I just realized I've been working on this car for twelve years. Phew! Lots of mods over that time and the latest is my long-awaited FI conversion. After a not insignificant outlay of cash I found myself in possession of an OZ head, which I ported and had rebuilt with larger valves. At the same time I took the manifold to my new favorite machinist to have injector bungs installed and to finish the adapter plate for a Jeep throttle body that I scavenged at the yard. Right now he's finishing up the details on the crank trigger wheel for the Electromotive TEC3 unit that I bought off my friend. At this point I've collected almost everything I need for the complete system. Here's some pictures:

Manifold 1:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-68mHUWWPs5w/U ... G_1618.JPG

Manifold 2:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-trIig75GlbE/U ... G_1620.jpg

Throttle body:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3YcTlgF5lkY/U ... G_1621.JPG

Assembly from rear:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JeTVDZB1QO0/U ... G_1628.JPG

Assembly from front:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eisieWRg0Mk/U ... G_1629.jpg

top view:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XH46ybue3Jo/U ... G_1630.JPG

I'm pretty stoked about this setup. Not only should it run nice and smooth, I'm expecting a big power boost. Oh, and in case your wondering, it would have cost close to the same to go with the aluminum head after all is said and done.

Very impressed with your work and pretty sure it's going to be real quick.

I finally have the last piece I need. Now I just have to screw together the courage to begin.

bh4KDIK.jpg

GLNm7Dc.jpg

nzD5hI7.jpg

4PgFS7e.jpg

Like your project. Who did the work on the intake to fit the injectors and fuel rail?

What ECM are you going to use to control everything?

I put a TBI system on my 66 Mustang. I used Mega Squirt ECM to manage the fuel system.

Do you have have the system running on your car?

Do you have a list of components you have used for the build?

Great Work

Dayman

Hey Y'all,
I have all the parts and I'm ready to go, but just haven't been able to do the work yet. Will have answers to all these questions once I get it done. In the meantime, here is some info:

Trigger wheel is from DIY Fuel Injection (The Megasquirt people)
The machine work was done by a local guy, although i bought the injector bosses and the bare fuel rail from Summit.
The injectors are 5.0 injectors which I sent to RC engineering for rebuilds and calibration.
Using a Electomotive TEC III unit to control the FI and ignition.

Update: Started the project finally over the weekend. Just pulled the old head and everything looks great. Got a bit more teardown to do tomorrow after work in terms of pulling the old balancer and the Z-bar throttle system and then I'll start with reassembly. It's a bit of a complex project but I'm just going to take it day by day. Pictures on the way.

I will be watching this thread like a hawk as I hope to head in a similar direction here soon!!! Keep it up, cant wait to see how it runs!

Matt

Been a bit slow, but I have the head and rocker assembly installed and the intake manifold with fuel rail mocked up in place. Have yanked all the existing fuel line and electric pump and am ready to start building my fuel system using almost all braided hose. Have also tossed the original throttle pedal with the z-bar linkage and installed a Lokar cable actuated throttle pedal. Haven't run the throttle cable yet or the kickdown cable. That'll probably end up being a bit of a fabrication project although I spent the money on Lokar cables which makes it a bit easier. Also revamped my power steering pump setup by moving over to one of the nifty brackets that Classic Inlines sells. That cleaned up matters considerably. Will see about posting pictures soon.

As promised, pictures demonstrating progress:

Timing wheel and sensor bracket:
FI%2Btiming%2Bwheel%2Band%2Bsensor%2Bbracket.jpg

Close up of sensor and bracket:
FI%2Bsensor%2Bbracket.jpg

The engine with all major components (head, manifold, etc):
FI%2Bengine%2Bassembly%2B2%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Same, but with jeep snorkel attached:
FI%2Bengine%2Bassembly%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Also got the FI fuel pump installed and the beginnings of my fuel hose installation.

Allright. I'm fully assembled. Car won't start and I've been running through diagnostics and finding little mistakes here and there. Mostly sensor wiring issues. Board members helped me solve my oil pump drive issues. Big thanks to thesameguy for the idea and for hooking me up with me a spare oil pump drive and to WSA111 for installing a proper distributor drive gear and a new O-ring. Engine bay a little roomier now. Look at the difference between my distributor and what replaced it:

pump%2Bdrive.jpg

The size of the DUI distributor was a huge driver in me going to EDIS. I saw a couple cars at a show with those things and I did not like the big ol' dizzy hanging off the little six. ;) Crazy that a big six tower coil pack hanging off the side is more discrete, but it sure seems like it to my eyes. ;)

So, does it start now? :)

Nope, doesn't start yet. But I know why! It turns out the hall sensor I was using to read RPM off the crank trigger is incompatible with the TEC 2 unit. I've ordered the correct crank trigger sensor and a bracket and once I hook that up I *should* be good to go. At least I'll be good to start a proper diagnostics.

Update:
Okay, I've been stalled for months with a car that won't start. After extensive diagnostics I've concluded that my ECU is fried. It kinda works, but not in any predictable manner. I emailed and called Electromotive repeatedly for many weeks for an RMA# to mail the unit in for diagnostics and they haven't had the decency to reply. They did however capture my email address and start spamming me with "special offers." Really very poor.

So, I just ordered a megasquirt II. Should be here in a week so hopefully I can install that and get it running over the holidays.

Back