Should I consider Megasquirt/Powerjection?

schaferstephen

I get back from my hitch offshore in a couple weeks, hopefully will have my new CI head in by then..!!! Details of my build are found here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72433

I was planning on running a Holley 500 cfm 2V carb. However, I was going through threads, and I discovered Powerjection. I love the idea of a self contained, self learning EFI system like this. I am willing to pay the extra $$$ for it, provided I get some verification that it does (or can be made to) work with the inline 6. My car isn't a track car, it IS something that I want to be able to drive often and reliably and I want to squeeze as much power out of my engine as possible.

My question to y'all is this - is EFI something that will make a significant difference for the above goals? I have already spent so much on this, I am not at all averse to spending another 2k on fuel system. That being said, would I be better off learning the Megasquirt (which I now essentially know nothing about) and going that route, or will a system such as PowerJection serve my needs?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

**EDIT**

I know this is the FI forum, but after spending a night researching fuel delivery ideas, can anyone enlighten me as to Weber DCOE ideas?

Get the Megasquirt if you are willing to learn how to tune an EFI system, and have the time and patience to get it right; it is not self-tuning.
Megasquirt allows you to go with multiport or TBI (What the Powerjection system is) and program the ignition curve.
With the Megasquirt 3 you can do sequential injection, water injection, electric cooling fan switching, Mass Air Flow (MAF); I'm sure there are several other things it can do.

Powerjection is just set it and forget it.
The problem I see is the system is designed for larger displacement/horsepower engines.
The injectors may be too large for your application. Talk to the manufacturer to see if their cheaper TBI unit (without distributor) will work on a stock 260/289 V8. If it does work on this small of V8, it should work on your modified 250; just use Mike's 4Bbl intake.

Hope this helps.

if you set up a chevy TBI using chevy sensors and a chevy map, the Megasquirt is incredibly easy to install and get running. The whole shooting match can be set up for about $500 if you use junkyard parts and factor another 200 ish for a wideband oxygen sensor, but you really only need the sensor for tuning so you can borrow one or use it in another car.

The megasquirt system (MS-2) is really simple and really well supported, its a lot easier that most people think, it only gets tricky when you are trying to setup something off-the-wall or use non-chevy sensors that might require circuit or programming modifications.

motzingg":wnvtkcj1 said:
if you set up a chevy TBI using chevy sensors and a chevy map, the Megasquirt is incredibly easy to install and get running. The whole shooting match can be set up for about $500 if you use junkyard parts and factor another 200 ish for a wideband oxygen sensor, but you really only need the sensor for tuning so you can borrow one or use it in another car.

The megasquirt system (MS-2) is really simple and really well supported, its a lot easier that most people think, it only gets tricky when you are trying to setup something off-the-wall or use non-chevy sensors that might require circuit or programming modifications.

You're correct, getting it running is easy, getting it tuned properly is the hard part.
As I stated before, if you've got the time and patience, this is a good way to go.

I have to disagree with only "borrowing" a wideband O2 sensor. If you go the Megasquirt route, buy a wideband O2 sensor and a copy of TunerStudio MS.
With these two additions to a Megasquirt system, it would be easier to tune the EFI system.

The Powerjection uses a WB O2 sensor and built-in proprietary tuning software to accomplish the same thing.

I'll step back a little on my statement that Megasquirt cannot be self-tuning. A WB with TunerStudio is getting close.

In my recent megasquirt install (my first), having a wideband O2 is a requirement. I tried to tune it by just data logging but that is very time consuming and basically a bunch of shots in the dark. I then purchased the registered version of TunerStudio so I could use the VE analyze function. Its basically the equivalent of Autotune in the old MegaTune software (which is no longer supported).

With those two things I found Megasquirt to be practically self tuning.

Thanks for the help guys... Mike said my head should be in the mail now. Unfortunately, between my rotation offshore and classes in Houston, I won't have more than a few days at home till the end of February... But, that will give me time to read up on some of the info y'all provided. Thanks again!

Back