How much of a mess would I be getting myself into?

RancheroBoy

I'm pondering starting a boosted 300 project, but it's out of the ordinary. Looking for 600rwhp and up on E85. I know I have to use megasquirt but I don't know a thing about it really. How hard would it be to get MS-II set up with Flex-Fuel? That would really be the only thing different from just normal MS-II that id want to do with it. Just started pondering the project, if it's mildly feasible to do then i'll probably dive in.

I've never messed with the table switching for flex fuel but I'm sure it not that bad to setup. If your confident enough to do a normal megasquirt build then adding in flex fuel shouldn't scare you enough to no do it. Pretty sure you can setup a gm flex-fuel sensor and never have to touch a thing, just fill up with whatever mixture of ethanol/gasoline you want.

I'm running e85 now and have plenty of e85-equipped stations around that I dont have to worry about a gasoline tune. However, it does limit my freedom to drive anywhere I want. e85 is much less prominent in the northern states, here in SC its quite common.

Please keep us posted when you move forward on this.

I'm talking with a local race shop/engine builder about rebuilding my '95 4.9 specifically to run on E85 or E99.9 (home made) as well as woodgas running a gasifier in the bed of the truck. After months of searching, last week I found someone who built an engine for E85 but NOT for drag racing. The end result was good power and an 8% increase in mpg.

How tough was it to add a turbo, MECH_E? I understand that the higher octane of E85 just asks for boost in order to use all the power potential.

the megasquirt can be set up with a flex fuel sensor, then it is a matter of setting your tables up properly. check out diyautotune.com for more information. you can also check out the megasquirt forums as a few people there have done this very setup.

Back