92 300 six FI ??

my way

Have a rusted out 92 ford 300 six cyl pickup with a blowen head gasket. Don't know much about the injection system on this. There is a injector on each port. How are they triggered? could this be adapted to a CI alloy head on a 250? Not up to speed on FI-even a little confused by letter tittles for parts and systems, so go slow :oops:
My Way

port spacing is VERY different between the 2 different engine designs.
you are More likely to be able to adapt a 4.0L Jeep EFI fuel rail than you are a 300.
The AMC sixes have close to the same port spacing that a small Ford six has.
99 and newer EFI AMC 4.0Ls have a Very nice Aluminum intake on them as well (It has Equal length runners!!)

The alloy head has what look like bosses cast in the port to be machined for injectors. individual runners could then be fabricated to a log with an appropriate throttle body?? Or using the CI intake with a throttle body in place of a carb. How does the old 300 injection system work? Have read the injectors themselves are small and could be replaced. Are the injectors sequentially pulsed? how? Is there an external fuel pump that would pull from a fuel cell that would work?
My Way

The EFI they used on the 4.9's (1988 to 95) is a Speed Density system so injectors are batch fire. It uses a TPI, MAP, O2,Temp, Tach, and Knock sensors the ECU has a fuel map, and Ign. Control. The 300 / 4.9 used in 96 and 97 was MAF with sequential injection. There are aftermarket and OEM type frame mount fuel pumps made. Good luck :nod:

OK so I see they are all feed off a common rail-batch fire. Doesn't that let fuel fall out of suspension in the ports of the cyl not on the intake cycle? how is it timed and triggered?

My Way

:unsure: Don't have my Manuel's handy so will try to answer your questions going by memory. The ECU (computer) controls the injectors triggering and their timing, it has Fuel Maps that are pre installed, it also controls the ignition timing. I believe that the injectors (about 14 or 14.5) (the fuel pressure regulator is mounted on the fuel rail) the Fuel pressure is much higher on the 4.9 then other Ford engines they are pulsed in pairs or batched by the firing order. The ECU gets it's input from the various sensors to know the fuel curve to use and it's ignition needs, they are a TPI (Throttle Position Indicator), MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure), Temp sensor ( engine temperature), and O2 (oxygen content in the exhaust), engine RPM from the distributor (Tach), and Knock or detonation sensor (Ford has their own name for this part) that for the moment I can't remember. Mine is a (1994 so should be semuler) it has 3 solenoids mounted on the drives side of the valve cover these are timed or controlled by the ECU too, they are for AIR (air injection to exhaust), EGR (exhaust gas recirculation), I think the other is a cold enrichment, like a choke would be on a carb. I used an analog Volt / Ohm meter (Dial Gauge) to read error Codes at the Data Port (Drivers side rear at hood opening) that are stored in the ECU you count the number of short and long swings to get the code then a Hayes or other repair Manuel or online sources to Decode it. Hope this is of some help. Edited, Good luck :nod:

Back