Converting carb 170 to fuel injected on 1965 econoline pick

I am the second owner of a 1965 Econoline truck. Several years ago my Dad and myself restored this truck as well as rebuilt the engine. I am wanting to do a few upgrades such as a fuel injection conversion. I am pretty sure by all my research that I will have to change the head/intake to make this happen. I need some advise/input in this matter. I looked into the v-8 changeout but I would like to keep the dog box uncut. Thanks for any direction available in advance.

Do a search on the Tempo TBI unit. Would probably work well on a stock 170. With a 2 barrel mod you could go with gm 2v TBI. I have seen a thread on here once where someone bunged a log head for multiport, but I don't remember seeing the outcome after that. Multiport would be easier with the aluminum head, but you'll have a hard time fitting the intake manifold in the doghouse I'm afraid :devilish: I've considered doing 2 Tempo TBI's on a large log head for my 250.

In reality, the simplest thing you could do for your 170, assuming you don't want to drop a 200 in there, is to put a '69 or later head on it, milled to keep compression @ 9:1, upgrade to a Duraspark II ignition system, and put one of those Daytona holley 1904 repop universal carbs on it. Or just keep the head you have and go with the DSII and the Daytona carb. JMO

http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=64888&hilit=multiport

http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=38349&hilit=multiport

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/draw-through-turbos/75702/page2/

Picture from the grassroots thread:

fyGDB0.jpg

I used to have an Econoline pickup and wish I never sold it.
If you are looking for more performance a built 200 or even stock 250 would work and might be cheaper and easier. A few guys have done the Tempo tbi and had good outcomes. I considered it myself and still interested in it

"... stock 250 would work …"
I think that 1s too tall for the '65 dog house.

'65 was the first year with the taller doghouse. I'm putting a 250 in my '64 w/ a '65 doghouse and 170 crossmember. But you have to swap transmissions, possible driveshaft work etc. A 200 is easy peasy.

I have a 250 in my 66' van. It was not easy, of course my skill level just might be at fault. :)
I did have to change transmissions, used the 170 crossmember, but did not have to change the driveshaft.
A built 200 would be what I'd do now, because it is about as close to a drop in (by what others have said) as there is.
I am in the process of trying to upgrade the 'quick' on the van. The 250 provides plenty of power, even with 1bbl, but absolutely NO quick. Thank you to whomever got the info to us on the person (son, daughter) of CI's late owner. I have sent an email to them and will be patient as requested.

Rick in CA

"...I have sent an email to them and will be patient as requested."
there's an admin post that sez they're out of business, don't order from the site (e-mail to CI, etc).
Contact "Does 10s" here - a member that seems to B helpin close down the last remaining sales (parts all gone).

Thank you for your input. I believe from all I've been told the 200 is the best option. I would also like to do a bolt on fuel injection. The c4 transmission is easier to adapt to the 200 as well. Happy Thanksgiving !!!

Back