anyone use microsquirt?

Moderator: Mod Squad

jjona5

anyone use microsquirt?

Post #1 by jjona5 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:49 pm

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/mic ... g-harness/

Looks like with batch fire injectors this could prove to be an easy cheap way to add a stand alone. Anyone try it? I was going to email them and ask if its compatible with all of our efi bits. Wiring in a chevy map sensor would be no big deal.

jdlaugh430

Re: anyone use microsquirt?

Post #2 by jdlaugh430 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:21 am

I'm using a Microsquirt PNP unit from DIYAutotune. It's an earlier version than the one you linked to. The key to make these system work on the Ford sixes is a system to monitor engine revolutions. I'm using the Ford TFI ignition system, since the distributor for the 300 ci engines from the 80s/90s was a direct drop-in for my old 240 six. If you have a vehicle with TFI -- or some other Ford EFI system -- you can make it work with MIcrosquirt.

Cost is reasonable, but expect a major learning experience. It's far, far, from a plug and play setup. Still, I'm on my third project and I've been happy with the final results. I built a Megasquirt system back in 2004 so I could turbocharge a 4 banger '87 Toyota MR2 and it's still out there boosting away 13 years later.
James, Tulsa, OK
1965 Econoline "Heavy Duty" Pickup
"A Work in Progress"

jimmyv65

Post #3 by jimmyv65 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:02 pm

I looked at Microsquirt. In talking to the DIY guys, you'll need some big resistors in line to run the injectors as compare with regular Megasquirt. I think the resistors needed for the Microsquirt setup on a large TBI style injector is a pricey item.

So, it may not be as much of a bargain as it looks.
1966 Bronco-'78 250-Meagsquirted TBI, DUI, Header, Cam, Hydroboost & Front Disc, Uncut, 1" body lift, 2.0" suspension lift

jdlaugh430

Post #4 by jdlaugh430 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:49 pm

jimmyv65 wrote:I looked at Microsquirt. In talking to the DIY guys, you'll need some big resistors in line to run the injectors as compare with regular Megasquirt. I think the resistors needed for the Microsquirt setup on a large TBI style injector is a pricey item.

So, it may not be as much of a bargain as it looks.

Might ask the DIY Autotune guys if that's correct. According to the documentation I found on Microsquirt: "To get everything to fit without gobs of heat sinking, MicroSquirt® uses the ST VND5N07 from STMicroelectronics. This is not a peak and hold driver, but it does clamp the current at 5 amps so it can be used with one low-impedance injector per bank"

MIcrosquirt has two injector banks, and a TBI uses two low impedance injectors, one on each bank. At least that's how I have mine wired. I haven't had it running but a few minutes at a time, so I can't guarantee it will work long term. Of course if you have injectors on each cylinder, then just go with high-impedance ones.

Microsquirt documentation
James, Tulsa, OK
"A Work in Progress"

jjona5

Post #5 by jjona5 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:03 am

I saw some write ups on using it on ls engines with batch fire. Our Ford injectors are high impedance eh? I have a 93 efi. I'm wanting to get a stand alone setup first and running smooth and then later on drop in an engine setup for small boost. 6-10 psi. I'm a science teacher and painting my truck and hopefully getting mega/microsquirt going is my summer project.

jjona5

Post #6 by jjona5 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:07 am

http://www.efisource.com/shop/microsqui ... 0-mustang/

They will sell me just the wires and eeciv connector for 40 bucks. Not sure if that is a good deal or not but it would make the install clean.

jdlaugh430

Post #7 by jdlaugh430 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:38 am

For my first build, I went to the junk yard and found a car with the correct computer, took the computer apart and cut the connectors off the board inside. If they are offering a connector that allows you to plug the Squirt into your stock harness, that saves you a bunch of hassle and seems reasonable.

On the injectors, most Fords are high impedance. I bet 24 lb injectors would be a nice upgrade for a small boost setup on a Ford 300.
James, Tulsa, OK
"A Work in Progress"

jimmyv65

Post #8 by jimmyv65 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:53 am

jdlaugh430 wrote:Might ask the DIY Autotune guys if that's correct. According to the documentation.....
Of course if you have injectors on each cylinder, then just go with high-impedance ones.

Yeah, I can't say that for certain. Just passing on what I was told.
1966 Bronco-'78 250-Meagsquirted TBI, DUI, Header, Cam, Hydroboost & Front Disc, Uncut, 1" body lift, 2.0" suspension lift

jjona5

Post #9 by jjona5 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:37 pm

I emailed them. Once I'm certain it'll work for me I'll probably pull the trigger on it. Can't wait to buy a wide band and get er going. I think I'm going to put it in my glove box along with an electronic fuel pressure gauge.

thesameguy

Post #10 by thesameguy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:18 pm

jimmyv65 wrote:I looked at Microsquirt. In talking to the DIY guys, you'll need some big resistors in line to run the injectors as compare with regular Megasquirt. I think the resistors needed for the Microsquirt setup on a large TBI style injector is a pricey item.

Can you use a ballast resistor pack from a car with low impedance injectors, like a turboford (Lima 2.3 turbo) or Volvo red block turbo?

guhfluh

Post #11 by guhfluh » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:31 pm

thesameguy wrote:

Can you use a ballast resistor pack from a car with low impedance injectors, like a turboford (Lima 2.3 turbo) or Volvo red block turbo?

Yes you can. I used a resistor pack for a long time on my car and many others have also. It slows the injector response and dead time, but with TBI, that won't be critical like port injection.
1967 F-250 Crew Cab 2wd, 300 6cyl, T-170/RTS/TOD 4-speed overdrive
240 head, Offy C, EFI exhaust manifolds, Comp 268H, mandrel 2.5-3" exhaust, Edelbrock 500, Pertronix ignitor and coil, recurved dizzy. 200whp/300wtq

jdlaugh430

Post #12 by jdlaugh430 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:03 pm

I bought two eight ohm, 25 watt resistors from a local electronic supply house for my two TBI injectors. They were like $2 each. If you use a ballast resistor from another car just be sure to measure their ohm value. There are on-line calculators that will tell you what size you need, depending on the resistance value of your specific injectors.

Here is a deal on Ebay for two resistors for $6.95 and free shipping: Ebay resistors
James, Tulsa, OK
"A Work in Progress"