anyone use microsquirt?

I'm using a Microsquirt PNP unit from DIYAutotune. It's an earlier version than the one you linked to. The key to make these system work on the Ford sixes is a system to monitor engine revolutions. I'm using the Ford TFI ignition system, since the distributor for the 300 ci engines from the 80s/90s was a direct drop-in for my old 240 six. If you have a vehicle with TFI -- or some other Ford EFI system -- you can make it work with MIcrosquirt.

Cost is reasonable, but expect a major learning experience. It's far, far, from a plug and play setup. Still, I'm on my third project and I've been happy with the final results. I built a Megasquirt system back in 2004 so I could turbocharge a 4 banger '87 Toyota MR2 and it's still out there boosting away 13 years later.

I looked at Microsquirt. In talking to the DIY guys, you'll need some big resistors in line to run the injectors as compare with regular Megasquirt. I think the resistors needed for the Microsquirt setup on a large TBI style injector is a pricey item.

So, it may not be as much of a bargain as it looks.

jimmyv65":3em4tmjd said:
I looked at Microsquirt. In talking to the DIY guys, you'll need some big resistors in line to run the injectors as compare with regular Megasquirt. I think the resistors needed for the Microsquirt setup on a large TBI style injector is a pricey item.

So, it may not be as much of a bargain as it looks.

Might ask the DIY Autotune guys if that's correct. According to the documentation I found on Microsquirt: "To get everything to fit without gobs of heat sinking, MicroSquirt® uses the ST VND5N07 from STMicroelectronics. This is not a peak and hold driver, but it does clamp the current at 5 amps so it can be used with one low-impedance injector per bank"

MIcrosquirt has two injector banks, and a TBI uses two low impedance injectors, one on each bank. At least that's how I have mine wired. I haven't had it running but a few minutes at a time, so I can't guarantee it will work long term. Of course if you have injectors on each cylinder, then just go with high-impedance ones.

Microsquirt documentation

I saw some write ups on using it on ls engines with batch fire. Our Ford injectors are high impedance eh? I have a 93 efi. I'm wanting to get a stand alone setup first and running smooth and then later on drop in an engine setup for small boost. 6-10 psi. I'm a science teacher and painting my truck and hopefully getting mega/microsquirt going is my summer project.

For my first build, I went to the junk yard and found a car with the correct computer, took the computer apart and cut the connectors off the board inside. If they are offering a connector that allows you to plug the Squirt into your stock harness, that saves you a bunch of hassle and seems reasonable.

On the injectors, most Fords are high impedance. I bet 24 lb injectors would be a nice upgrade for a small boost setup on a Ford 300.

jdlaugh430":1mshe4h2 said:
Might ask the DIY Autotune guys if that's correct. According to the documentation.....
Of course if you have injectors on each cylinder, then just go with high-impedance ones.

Yeah, I can't say that for certain. Just passing on what I was told.

I emailed them. Once I'm certain it'll work for me I'll probably pull the trigger on it. Can't wait to buy a wide band and get er going. I think I'm going to put it in my glove box along with an electronic fuel pressure gauge.

jimmyv65":2jhc210z said:

Can you use a ballast resistor pack from a car with low impedance injectors, like a turboford (Lima 2.3 turbo) or Volvo red block turbo?

thesameguy":2mgp00zy said:
jimmyv65":2mgp00zy said:

Can you use a ballast resistor pack from a car with low impedance injectors, like a turboford (Lima 2.3 turbo) or Volvo red block turbo?
Yes you can. I used a resistor pack for a long time on my car and many others have also. It slows the injector response and dead time, but with TBI, that won't be critical like port injection.

I bought two eight ohm, 25 watt resistors from a local electronic supply house for my two TBI injectors. They were like $2 each. If you use a ballast resistor from another car just be sure to measure their ohm value. There are on-line calculators that will tell you what size you need, depending on the resistance value of your specific injectors.

Here is a deal on Ebay for two resistors for $6.95 and free shipping: Ebay resistors

Does anybody have a msq file for the 300? I am thinking of going this way, just want to get a head of the curve. Thanks!

Does anybody have a msq file for the 300? I am thinking of going this way, just want to get a head of the curve. Thanks!
Ditto. I just received a Microsquirt to be used on my turbocharged '94 4.9. So if anyone has a similar system and is willing to share their file, that would be much appreciated.

Back