Home made 36-1 trigger wheel

drag-200stang

2K+
VIP
Supporter 2020
Supporter 2021
I am not a machinist but I bought a small old wore out mill to play with for my hotrod six hobby...It was a learning experience.
The ferrous part is made from the cutout scrap part of my sbf to small six bell housing adapter, it was .250 thick and already ground flat...The hub is Al to save weight and to cut down on harmonic's ...It is lighter than the HLY wheel ...I could of made it lighter but I wanted it to withstand a bout with the diaper if it gets knocked into it.
20180719205027-758d4083-me.jpg
20180719204958-403f5502-me.jpg

Thank's bubba
No cnc, no readout, just setup a dial indicator, turn the handles and watch the indicator .

Thank's 67 SS
I have had the mill for 43 years, paid 300 for it but used it more as a drill press...More recently got a vertex rotary table making it possible to do round stuff...A lathe would be nice but the rotary table can do a lot , there is only so much money to go around.

Yes and no...The sensor has to be 60 degrees before tdc , like at the 7th tooth counter clock wise from the missing tooth at tdc of #1.
It is mostly an issue of mounting the sensor in a favorable spot to mount solid and fiddle with...It is simple and yet confusing.
As long as the engine is at top dead center you can put the missing tooth any where as long as you can mound the sensor 60 degrees before and that would be counter clockwise of the missing tooth...I believe that it counts from the first tooth after the gap (missing tooth)

Its my understanding from the wheels i've made before that they need to be made from iron or steel because the sensors create a magnetic field and aluminum isn't magnetic. Also the teeth need to be sharp at the bottom instead or having a radius because it affects the pulse signal.

Yes I agree,..Read post #1 closely and look at pic 2.
I am using the hly dom and the wheel is designed after their 36-1 but I made the tooth notch radius tighter than they did.

That is what I was thinking...I am hearing that the magnets in the wheel are better for high horsepower engines that have crank flex issues.

Do not know about the high horsepower but I expect the crank to flex...The 3 magnet wheel would have been a lot easier to make...One day I hope to find out.

Back