Help! 96 F150 Computer Issues

I’ve had a good mechanic work on my truck over the last several years. He’s been able to solve most every issue that I wasn’t able to fix. Yet, there is one nagging issue that is beyond him. He says my computer is bad. We’ve been over it and over it and that’s his final answer. I don’t want to get into the weeds about the codes if I don’t have to. The reason I’m posting this is to find a new computer, or to get pointed in the right direction about how to find somebody that can program an old one. Being a 96 (only year of emissions on the 300 that I’m aware of), 5 speed, 4x4, apparently replacement computers are pretty rare.

Redi3Hundo6":31m2qg1w said:
I’ve had a good mechanic work on my truck over the last several years. He’s been able to solve most every issue that I wasn’t able to fix. Yet, there is one nagging issue that is beyond him. He says my computer is bad. We’ve been over it and over it and that’s his final answer. I don’t want to get into the weeds about the codes if I don’t have to. The reason I’m posting this is to find a new computer, or to get pointed in the right direction about how to find somebody that can program an old one. Being a 96 (only year of emissions on the 300 that I’m aware of), 5 speed, 4x4, apparently replacement computers are pretty rare.

Hi Redi3Hund06, Your mechanic could be right on the mark the computers (ECU Engine Control Unit) do have one area that seems to be a cause of some problems. These are the capacitors on the main board go bad, but they can be repaired. Below is a link for replacement ECU's price and availability looks to be decent, to get the correct one you will need your Vin number too. You might also put your post in the 240 / 300 big six forum were MechRick might see it he is very good on the emissions systems of these Ford trucks. Good luck in the hunt (y) :nod:

ECU's
https://www.fs1inc.com/ford-lincoln-mer ... U&year=129

My ears were burning...

What symptoms are you experiencing?

Some of the older Ford PCM's are starting to show their age. You can sometimes spot the problem by removing the cover and inspecting the capacitors on the board. They will swell with age and sometimes leak.

The symptoms vary widely depending *which* capacitors are failing.

The '96 computers are reprogrammable for emissions updates, but it's not necessary when swapping in a new/reman one. Plug and play.

MechRick":2kv7r0vv said:
My ears were burning...

What symptoms are you experiencing?

Some of the older Ford PCM's are starting to show their age. You can sometimes spot the problem by removing the cover and inspecting the capacitors on the board. They will swell with age and sometimes leak.

The symptoms vary widely depending *which* capacitors are failing.

The '96 computers are reprogrammable for emissions updates, but it's not necessary when swapping in a new/reman one. Plug and play.

I’m not experiencing any issues. Truck runs fine. Throws a code for the PCV valve that won’t go away. Haven’t been able to find a computer worth a dang. Mechanic has tried several. He says that remanufactured computers are problematic and there aren’t many to choose from given the “rarity” of my particular set-up. I’m hoping that there is someway to find a good computer, change the VIN on it and bypass all the mess. Not sure if that’s possible or if I could find anybody to do it.

Back