Fuel Injected 200 NA

Hello everyone, I am new here but have used the forum as a good resource in the past.
I have started on a project to fuel inject my 1968 Mustang.

Here is the setup so far:
Ignition:
1.Stock Points Distributor
2. Stock Coil

Fuel:
1. Holly Sniper 7psi Electric Fuel pump
2. Edelbrock Adjustable Universal EFI Fuel Sump running 58 PSI

I am running a Microsquirt V3 kit and I have built a custom intake and fuel rail.
Attached to my Intake manifold is a Ford 3.8l Throttle body.

At this time I have successfully wired the ECU and added my supporting mods to supply fuel and to provide a clean tach signal to MS.
I also have been successful in getting the car to run, however, not for long I usually only get about 30 seconds before she stalls.
I'm still learning the tuning process and how to manage the tables.
I was hoping others might have suggestions and experience in this process (specific to this engine) and a source for a close base map I can compare my tune against.

On the Sniper you have to lock out the centrifugal advance.
I would recommend to get rid of the points & go with a DS11 distributor.
Use an MSD-6al & a Blaster 2 or 3 coil if you want the best. The DS11 will also need to have the advance locked out.

Hi WSA111, Thanks. Yeah i plan to upgrade the Dizzy in the future ive looked at the DS11 and will keep that in mind. I also have been considering the pertonix. I'm keeping the points for the time being mostly because they work well and I'm actually using an MSD 8918 GMR signal pickup that gives me a clean signal to the MS ecu.

I need to get some better photo's but i added an image of my current setup.

Attachments

• MustangECU.jpg
    MustangECU.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 227
Your project is looking good. Fuel injection is definitely some work but brings a lot of benefits.

Sorry for the delay in getting a response out. I got a little busy last week. Here is the image requested. You'll note i am using an Offy Tripower intake that came on my car when i purchased it about 9 years ago.

Update: i have successfully got the engine to run and idle. I found I was having an issue of losing Tach Sync once the engine switched from cranking to running. I am starting the task of learning how to tune the engine via software instead of using screwdrivers :)

Attachments

• 1011181019.jpg
    1011181019.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 191
I like it!
Curious why you are running an external map sensor?

The common plenum on the tripower is cool. I was brainstorming one day about a one barrel throttle body in the middle with two carbs plumbed off the return line. Your solution is more practical.

MustangMatt5":1vrvh13i said:
Hi WSA111, Thanks. Yeah i plan to upgrade the Dizzy in the future ive looked at the DS11 and will keep that in mind. I also have been considering the pertonix. I'm keeping the points for the time being mostly because they work well and I'm actually using an MSD 8918 GMR signal pickup that gives me a clean signal to the MS ecu.

I need to get some better photo's but i added an image of my current setup.

Be very careful. Most problems are signal related, and GM spent a lot of time making sure its system worked on its cars.

GM parts need GM solutions. Ford parts need Ford solutions. Its okay to mix and match, but when you have problems, its often RFI or a simple electrical principal that's taking the whole system down.

The aftermarket is constantly GM orientated. MicroSquirt and MegaSquirt are Boland and Grippo's 37 or 60 pin units generally Ford TFI and EDIS based in part with easier to use and source commercially available GM sensors.

61krfdPSaFL._AC_SL1500_(1).jpg

From Paul M.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80983&p=630042#p630042
pmuller9":1vrvh13i said:
65coupei6":1vrvh13i said:
I am switching over from the MSD 6A to a 6EFI pretty soon. I bought the 6efi over 1 year ago but never installed it. Don't ask me the difference. But, I will find out soon.

The main difference is that it doesn't have the Rev Limit Tach Verification signal when you first turn on the ignition.
This signal will drive the EFI system to fire the injectors and flood the engine at startup and has to be disabled when using the MSD gray wire to trigger an EFI unit.

If you are using the EFI unit to control timing and the EFI unit is triggering the MSD unit then the tach verification signal is not a problem.

The MSD 6A charges it's capacitor to 135 - 145 mj @ 520 - 540 volts and the 6EFI charges to 95 mj @435 volts meaning the 6EFI puts less energy to the coil primary than the 6A

Back