Complete New Wiring Harness

Moderator: Mod Squad

Mr Comet

Complete New Wiring Harness

Post #1 by Mr Comet » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:20 pm

I have not been on for quite a long time. I am considering a complete wiring swap on my comet and was just wondering if any body have completed the same project? Also if you have done so could you please make any suggestions of what kit you bought and why. I have never been able to find a fuse box in the comet so did some of them never come with fuses? Thanks in advance

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Complete New Wiring Harness

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Welcome back Mr Comet! :hmmm: The stock location of the fuse block was up under the dash and attached to the headlite switch with a couple spring clips. It's a bit hard to see it for sure unless you have a good light and your lying on you back under the dash seat all the way back, optional is your legs over the seat back :rolflmao: . You can pull the headlite switch out to get better access by pushing the spring pin to pull the knob out then remove the headlite switch trim Bessel. See the below post for some pictures of what it looks like. On rewiring somewhere on the our site are some posts by "the same guy" that go into great detail of his wiring up grades to his early Falcon. Good luck :nod:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=75506
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Mr Comet

Post #3 by Mr Comet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Robert

Thanks took a little playing around but I was able to remove the switch which has a fuse panel attached to it. the panel contains four fuses. I have purchased a kwikwire 14 circuit rewire kit so I was just thinking about eliminating the old fuse panel. Does it just unplug from from the switch? Thanks

thesameguy

Post #4 by thesameguy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Got your email. :)

I didn't actually replace my wiring harness, I made a pair of add-in harnesses - one to replace the ignition switch fuse box and a second to add features (electric fuel pump, fans, distributorless ignition, etc.). The original harness is still intact and doing mostly what it was designed to do. The only functions I took away from it were headlights and the horns. I guess it mostly just handles the running lights and the blower motor and the starter. :)

Here is the thread on my harness build:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69840

I thought I posted about the ignition switch rewire, but I guess not.

Here are some pictures:

(What is the size limit on pictures these days?)

The core of what I did was remove the factory fuse holder, and then make jumpers to connect the ignition switch to the new fuse holders. The factory fuse holder just clips on - when it's removed there are standard .250" make quick-disconnects. I used insulated female flag quick disconnects to plug in, and they run off to the new fuse holders.

When I originally did the work on the add-in harness, I was having zero problems with the factory parts... I just wanted to leave them alone and add cleanly to them. Unfortunately, a couple years later I started having problems with the blower motor and then the tail lights... the factory fuse holder was kind of falling apart. If I had to do it over again, I would I have just ditched the factory fuse holder, but that ship sailed so now I have fuses in two places. Not a big deal.

If I had to do this all over again I would. I like the amount of customization I was able to do versus a prefab harness, and the whole thing cost me maybe $150. Plus, I absolutely *hate* that Painless is still using ancient ATC fuses and Bosch style relays instead of much smaller ATM fuses and mini/micro relays. It's 2017, and the junkyard is FILLED with this stuff - the older parts that once were standard are getting harder to find!

That said, I already owned the tools, had the bucket of wire in the garage, and more fuses and relays sitting around than I could possibly ever use. Without those parts laying around, it could have been a lot more expensive. (OTOH, last year I bought a slightly-wrecked Ford Focus for $450 and I could have done this entire project with the wiring from that car, so maybe acquiring junk wire & relay & fuses isn't that expensive. :) )

Not sure this really helps you, but that's my story. Happy to offer whatever suggestions & help I can.
Last edited by thesameguy on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesameguy

Post #5 by thesameguy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:21 pm

Found some stuff on my ignition switch rewire from another forum:

There's a headlight switch:

And the fuseholder plugs into that:

And on the other side of the fuseholder are the fuses:

Got the old fuseholder out:

The plastic is in great shape, but most of the metal is not. They sell parts to rebuild it, but it's a lot of trouble and expense just to get back to four fused circuits with glass fuses in a totally unreachable place. :down:

I made this bracket to hold a trio of "power distribution connectors" - they are basically 8-circuit connectors repurposed to hold four ATM fuses:

I lack the tooling to make perfect, repetitive cuts but I did just fine with a Dremel.

The fuse holder holder screws onto the steering column support. I also made a bracket to hold the ignition computer in a better location - although double-sided tape has done a great job holding it to the vent plenum, the location was not ideal for getting the programming cable connected to it. Now, both the fuses and the Megajolt are still very much out of view but at the same time easily accessible:

Mr Comet

Post #6 by Mr Comet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks Same Guy

Does anyone happen to know which each of the 7 terminals on the switch are for?? I think I have two figured out but if someone already knows they can save me time and effort of trial and error.

Thanks Denny

thesameguy

Post #7 by thesameguy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:15 pm

They are defined in the factory manual - do you have that?

Mr Comet

Post #8 by Mr Comet » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:19 pm

I have a maintenance manual, is that what you mean? If so what page? I have to replace this switch. Does anyone have a switch which worked good for them. I am hoping to find one which I can use my shaft with the comet knob.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #9 by bubba22349 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Mr Comet wrote:I have a maintenance manual, is that what you mean? If so what page? I have to replace this switch. Does anyone have a switch which worked good for them. I am hoping to find one which I can use my shaft with the comet knob.

If you want to mount the switch in its stock location and use the Comet Knob you will probally need to use a stock headlite switch and adapt your new wiring harness to it, should be easy with a stock wiring diagram to cross reference with! Does your service manual show a wiring diagram if not can post one for you. You can get a new switch at NAPA or even find some NOS Ford units for sale every so often on eBay, below is link to one from NAPA. Good luck :nod:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHHL6043
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Mr Comet

Post #10 by Mr Comet » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks Guys

A Lighting switch from a 1967 Falcon can work with my old shaft and knob. This switch also matches the Kwik Wire diagram for fords. With this installed I started looking for errors I may have made. Three to be exact.

1. The headlights were wired wrong. rerouted correct wires.

2. Turn signal indicator light was wrong. Old Comets including mine only used one bulb for both turn signals. That was crossing up the new harness. I choose to make the brights indicator light as left turn. I moved the brights to the gen spot since I use an after market voltage meter. I also rarely drive at night.

3. I literally am cleaning up many ground spots to maximize the contact. I believe I am well on my way now. Just have aftermarket tack, heater, passenger dome switch and gas tank gauge left.

The light switch cost less than $15 from advance auto with 20% online discount. After 50+ years its not bad investment considering the wire kit was $325. This will be nice cuz I know where all the wires are now. I also choose to almost completely house all the wires in loom to help keep them organized and neat. I hope my challenges and overcoming them will help the next guy who rewires his baby.