Fuel pump.. vacuum wipers

Moderator: Mod Squad

19Spaceage60

Fuel pump.. vacuum wipers

Post #1 by 19Spaceage60 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi all, I'm the guy with the 60' Comet. I bought this car out of calf, previous owners never used the wipers.. I live in the NW, not an option here.
I'm getting ready to order a new mechanical fuel pump, I've done some research and see there is a pump for cars equipped with vacuum wipers.. which I have.. no idea if the system even works.. all the vacuum hoses are long gone, the engine is a 64' 200ci. Original fuel pump long gone.
What do most people do here? This is not a restoration.. it's a fun little rat rod cruiser, can an electric wiper system from a similar car be transplanted or is one best ordering the original fuel pump with the vacuum system?

powerband
FSP Moderator

Re: Fuel pump.. vacuum wipers

Post #2 by powerband » Mon May 15, 2017 6:10 pm

... it's a fun little rat rod cruiser, can an electric wiper system from a similar car be transplanted or is one best ordering the original fuel pump with the vacuum system?

The vacuum assist fuel pump supplements the engine vacuum from intake manifold port. The original vacuum wipers work fine without the fuel pump assist except falter under WOT or other low vacuum conditions.

My 61 Comet's original vacuum wipers still work and I don't drive in the rain when avoidable. Going up a long hill the wipers may slow or stall but brief back-off the pedal gives early 'intermittent' wiper capability ...

63 electric wiper setup can be used for conversion but is single speed and under-dash swap is not fun to R&R.

have fun

Original tube radio, vacuum wipers and front fender Gunsights…
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

19Spaceage60

Post #3 by 19Spaceage60 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:13 pm

Thank you powerband, good information here.. I'd like to keep the vacuum wipers too. That will be my goal.
Cheers!

Spaceage60

Post #4 by Spaceage60 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:36 am

One last question if I may...
So any vacuum source for the wiper system? I know off the intake log under the carb is a vacuum nipple... could I use that to power the wipers? Hope this is not a silly question, I've never owned a car with vacuum wipers. Ar there any other hidden access ports for vacuum? just curious. The vacuum line on the carb goes to the advance and the 3/8 nipple under the carb I've routed for the PCV system.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi 19Spaceage60, not a silly question at all, yes the intake manafold tap / nipple below the carb is the best location that you can use for powering the vaccum wipers. But if your replacing the fuel pump anyway then why not get the 1960 version of the fuel pump (with the vacuum pump on top) to help it work even better? The vacuum lines are easy to hookup with commonly available parts at your local auto parts house, and I or one of the other site members can show you the factory line routing. :thumbup: Also yes the vacuum port on the carb is correct for the Distribitor advance system (Load O Matic) if it's still using the stock carb and Distribitor on your 1960. The port below carb is the right one for the PCV valve too. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Spaceage60

Post #6 by Spaceage60 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Thanks for the great Info!