Odd Headlight Switch

Moderator: Mod Squad

Spaceage60

Odd Headlight Switch

Post #1 by Spaceage60 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:58 pm

60' Comet again...
So I have this great vintage parts store close by. You might pay a few extra bucks but often you get NOS parts which are better quality than what you get at up and down the street auto parts stores these days.. Anyway..
I ordered a headlight switch for the Comet, looked identical to the old one, except the round plastic disk that the chrome pull knob slides into has a TRIANGLE hole, mine is 1/2 MOON shaped.. would not work. me and my parts guy are thinking this could be a one year only kinda thing? I've reinstalled the old one, crusty, but it still works.. Can anyone chime in on this and confirm what we are thinking? Could that switch be a 1960 only? I would like to find one that fits, even though the old one still turns the headlights on.
Thanks and have a great weekend.

bmbm40

Re: Odd Headlight Switch

Post #2 by bmbm40 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:12 pm

I hate weird little things like that. Can you post a picture? Back then a lot of Ford vehicles would use the same part across many vehicle types like vans, pickups and passenger vehicles. But that could have happened during a change of headlight switches and Ford liked to use everything they had lying around. Good chance someone on here has one they will part with.
I have been thinking about the headlight relay conversion to get away from having high amps going through a 50-year-old switch.
66 Bronco-1970 250, NV3550, DSII, 4 turn ps, uncut, 1" bl, 2.5" sl, front disc, twin stick D 20, 30 x 9.50
NEXT- direct mount 1.08 on D8 head, power brakes, rear limited slip, 3G, electric fan, electric upgrades, custom curved DSII, header, 31" tires

'81 F150 4x4 300

New guy? Get this>http://www.falcon6handbook.com

Spaceage60

Re: Odd Headlight Switch

Post #3 by Spaceage60 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Well, the problem is you really cannot see anything. I cannot help but think something will turn up.. my parts bud has a line on something that might work. There is also a guy here in SW-Wash St that specializes in vintage Falcons.. I'll hit him up too.. seems very knowledgeable.. Good thought on the headlight relay.. :thumbup: