NO SPARK @ Spark Plugs ,NO START ISSUE

Moderator: Mod Squad

jkelley

NO SPARK @ Spark Plugs ,NO START ISSUE

Post #1 by jkelley » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 pm

I have installed New Coil , TFI Module,New Starter Relay , New Rotor Bugg , New Starter ,New Cap and Pick Up Coil Inside Distributor , I have power Going into the Dizzy, and into the Coil , But if I check Spark at Spark Plug pulled up against Block No Arc :fume: ..I am totally confused now ..I just knew replacing the Pick up Module that was the problem ..Any Suggestions.. Thanks In Advance

1986 F-150 , 300 Inline 6 , 1BBL Carb ,3 speed Manual
1986 Ford F-150 4x2 , 300 Inline 6, 3 speed on the Floor , 3.08 Gear Ratio ,80,000 original Miles One owner ,NO AC

Big64my79Effie

Re: NO SPARK @ Spark Plugs ,NO START ISSUE

Post #2 by Big64my79Effie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:46 am

Some other items to check. Plug wires? Especially the cap to coil wire. Is the rotor turning when attempting to start (check with cap off)? Could be a stripped distributor gear or sheared gear pin.

jkelley

Post #3 by jkelley » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Big64my79Effie wrote:Some other items to check. Plug wires? Especially the cap to coil wire. Is the rotor turning when attempting to start (check with cap off)? Could be a stripped distributor gear or sheared gear pin.

Rotor is turning , I checked the plug wires as well ..I’m beyond frustrated ..
1986 Ford F-150 4x2 , 300 Inline 6, 3 speed on the Floor , 3.08 Gear Ratio ,80,000 original Miles One owner ,NO AC

jkelley

Post #4 by jkelley » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:32 pm

So no baseball tourneys this weekend....I was able to work on the old truck...I have power going to the Dizzy through TFI Module & within inside the Distributor , I used the test light to check everything inside the dizzy I even touched the very top of the Distributor shaft without the Rotor Bugg on it and it lit up the test light BRIGHT ...I have power at the coil...So I put the rotor on and attached my led test light to the tab of the rotor and no Light , I even turned it over and No light ...So is the Rotor Bugg bad ?... Now my Starter relay is hanging up and when I turn the key on it turns the engine over even after turning ignition off...I have to go out there and hit the Starter relay with screwdriver to stop...I swear if its not one this its another ....My patients starting to run thin ...But I shall not be defeated...Feel free to chime in if you have any Ideas ...Thanks in Advance

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:22 am

jkelley wrote:So no baseball tourneys this weekend....I was able to work on the old truck...I have power going to the Dizzy through TFI Module & within inside the Distributor , I used the test light to check everything inside the dizzy I even touched the very top of the Distributor shaft without the Rotor Bugg on it and it lit up the test light BRIGHT ...I have power at the coil...So I put the rotor on and attached my led test light to the tab of the rotor and no Light , I even turned it over and No light ...So is the Rotor Bugg bad ?... Now my Starter relay is hanging up and when I turn the key on it turns the engine over even after turning ignition off...I have to go out there and hit the Starter relay with screwdriver to stop...I swear if its not one this its another ....My patients starting to run thin ...But I shall not be defeated...Feel free to chime in if you have any Ideas ...Thanks in Advance

:hmmm: Does the pickup coil have power going to it and the air gap is set to spec? The Distribitor body including the center shaft, would need to be grounded. So depending on how you used the test light (ie the way it's hooked up) the Distribitor shaft and body are likely grounded as they should be. How did you hook up and use the test light to test with?

There is nothing wrong with the rotor not showing any power with the cap off as it receives its power from the coils secondary windings (the coils plug wire tower into the center of Distribitor cap). I would focus looking at the coil, the TFI module and the their conecting wiring as a possible source of your no spark condistion. Have you tested the coils secondary output? Ie is the coil wire is firing / jumping a gap held above the caps center tower during cranking. And if it is is a good strong snap with a bright blue spark.

On your starter relay (sticking) or wanting to still turn the starter, check the condistion of your ignistion switch and the wiring connections are they clean and snug. The ignition switch maybe worn out or contacts sticking it may also be the problem with the ignistion system not working too.

On the wiring connections good clean and snug connections and the chassis, engine grounds are often the causes of these type of problems, next is if the battery is in good condistion and is fully charged showing 13.4 to 13.8 volts at the battery, without the proper voltage going to the electronic ignistion system it won't fire properly. With these type problems the these are the first and lowest cost place to start on your diagnosis. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

mreitzel

Post #6 by mreitzel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:53 pm

I had the same issue - visual inspection of master coil wire was fine - found out the center contact of the wire itself had pulled back up into the plug cover just enough to give me the illusion it was seated, but no contact was being made. Probably spent an hour trying to figure it out too.