Weird charging issues..

Moderator: Mod Squad

FletcherSyntax

Weird charging issues..

Post #1 by FletcherSyntax » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:33 pm

I6 250 from 1969. I threw money at my initial charging issue and it sort of worked. Bought a new alternator, regulator and battery but now when the car is is idling I'm reading almost dead on 12 volts. I'm pretty sure that's not right. I tested the hot lead off the alternator and it's pumping like 20 volts when disconnected from the battery (so I had the engine running off just the battery). Then when I hook the battery back up it drops to 12 volts again. Battery reads 12.5 when the car isn't running. When I'm at 2,500 rpm's it looks like it's putting out about 12.9 volts.

So it's kind of working but still not as well as it should. I believe it should be 13 volts at idle right? Then maybe 13.5 at higher Rpm's?

Edit** I have a battery isolator that no longer works because it never reads high enough voltage on the chassis battery.

FletcherSyntax

Re: Weird charging issues..

Post #2 by FletcherSyntax » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:50 pm

Also, what is this thing? I didn't replace it. I found it on all the diagrams but none of them actually said what it was or what it did.

FletcherSyntax

Post #3 by FletcherSyntax » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:47 pm

I just realized there is a place for electrical issues... I'm sorry.

Econoline

Post #4 by Econoline » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:36 pm

You should be putting out somewhere around 14v+ when running.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78430

Please keep it in the same thread. It's very confusing and frustrating and even infuriating when searching for an answer and it doesn't come in one thread. All of this stuff gets stored and is indexed and searchable in the future on this and every other forum that's worth a damn. It helps in the long run to keep it coherent, as best we can.
It ain't gonna fix itself

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #5 by B RON CO » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi, that thing is a radio noise suppression capacitor. You probably don't need it but may as well keep it.
The charging system should put out more like 13.5 -14.5 volts, but it depends on what the battery needs, and the load on the charging system. If you have the heat and headlights on you will need 14 volts or you will drain the battery.
I recommend the modern electronic style voltage regulator, which tend to last forever over the old mechanical regulators. You don't say which you got.
I would check and clean all the battery and wiring connections, and make sure the battery negative goes to the engine block and a body ground like the radiator support. I think there is a ground from the back of the engine to the firewall.
Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

chad

cross threads, misplaced threads, spoola threads, ...

Post #6 by chad » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:33 pm

"...a place for electrical issues..."
now I'm jumpin round...
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

Econoline

Post #7 by Econoline » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 pm

I think you've got to go out of your way to buy a mechanical regulator at this point and for a long time before now, and you'll pay more for it. The smaller ones may look the same but they're all solid state unless you get the big one or ask for a mechanical one. I'd be surprised if the one in there isn't solid state. If it's mechanical, by all means replace it with a solid state one for like $20 @ your local store or go through it with dielectric grease, a feeler gauge, points file and the specs:

It ain't gonna fix itself