Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Duraspark1 Connector Pigtail Search

Moderator: Mod Squad

lavron

Duraspark1 Connector Pigtail Search

Post #1 by lavron » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:31 pm

This really is not a necessary item but I have been looking for the plug that connects my DS1 to the ignition box, well I aim looking for a pigtail, I know they made on to the ignition module boxes but thought someone might sell just a pigtail.

I have seen DS2 pigtails but my plug is different, it looks like this;
If you are wondering what is different, the little ears for the plug to clip on with are on the top and bottom in this picture, all the others I have seen they are 90 degrees to this (would be on the sides)
I have seen some (MSD) that look like they would plug on but are just 2 wires not 3, I can't even find a picture of a ignition box that matches this :roll:

I am going to build my own wiring harness and would like it to not look hacked together. My other option is cutting this plug off and putting Weathertech style fittings I just wanted it easy if I ever needed to switch out the distributor (I am doing the HEI controller BTW)

I don't know I guess I would have a hard time just pulling the distributor and swapping in a DS2 if it became necessary anyway because my plug wouldn't match :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
64 Comet 202 Sedan, 250- I6, Air Ride, Mll, 8.8 LSD, 4 wheel Discs
Currently a Build in Progress- Whatever I do it will be awesome!

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Duraspark1 Connector Pigtail Search

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi Mike, That plug on your Distribitor Might be for the Calif. only Red stain relief ICM (ignistion Control Module), it also has a hotter spark. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

lavron

Post #3 by lavron » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:03 pm

Thanks Bubba, I looked at all the pictures I can find on the web (haven't looked at every picture, but a bunch :roll: ) and nothing matches this one, so my original idea of having it where I could swap it out easy is pretty much done for :P trying to avoid rare hard to find components on my build.

I think just changing to the Weathertech style plug is the best solution. Most stuff I have read says the distributors themselves don't fail all that often it is the ICM that goes bad so switching to a readily available HEI with a custom plug works for me :thumbup:

I am thinking of mounting the HEI in the car under the dash, I assume it would be cooler in there (will add heatsink) then if I can find a low ohm coil that looks standard my electronic ignition would be stealth.

I see most of the recommendations out there are the e-core coil but it is definitely not stock appearing (stock appearance is really not a big factor, I don't think my engine bay is going to pass for stock anyway) I would like to keep the HEI module hidden away for obvious reasons :roll:

See Ya,
Mike

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:23 am

Mike sounds like a good plan, I like the stealth look too, and mounting the HEI or the ICM inside the car were it's cooler can only improve its lifespan. On the coil if you could find one of the larger 1970's vintage Accel, Echlin, Mallery, coils you could maybe gut it out and hide an E-core type coil inside it. Personally I haven't had very much trouble with the DuraSpark II system parts but after opening up some of the cheap knock off ICM's and compareing them to OEM boxes it's really no wonder people are having trouble with them, I personally will only use theose of the highest quality i.e. A genuine Motorctaft or NAPA ICM. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Econoline

Post #5 by Econoline » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:07 pm

Lavron, if that is the connector @ the distributor I believe they are the same as DSII, but that is the one plug that isn't available. I went through this when I tried to build a DSII harness. I could find every plug, i.e. coil and both module plugs but not that one. I ended up salvaging a harness from an 80's F150 4.9 at a junkyard just to get that plug. It is availble in the expensive painless harness or if you were to buy a dsII to MSD 6 adapter.
It ain't gonna fix itself

lavron

Post #6 by lavron » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Econoline wrote:but that is the one plug that isn't available.

That is how most stuff goes on this project, not going to worry about it and just cut it off and replace it.

bubba22349 wrote:On the coil if you could find one of the larger 1970's vintage Accel, Echlin, Mallery, coils you could maybe gut it out and hide an E-core type coil inside it.

I think I can use this coil Summit Racing Coil I think the main thing to get it to run correctly with the HEI module is the primary resistance being low (under .5 OHM) I assume this is a 12 volt coil it doesn't say, but it is oil cooled so it may be 6 volt.

See Ya,
Mike

chero1369

Post #7 by chero1369 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:44 am

I've been using Accell Super Stock coil for 12 yrs.
42Kv at 1.4 ohms.Except for the chrome cover,looks stock. number 8140.....$30 .never failed,yet.
ICM,solenoid,battery,fuse block,and all in right rear foot well in '62 'chero.
Retired electrcian with too much time and wire....

Econoline

Post #8 by Econoline » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 am

With that low of a resistance on a canister coil I would say that is not a straight 12v coil. 1.0-1.5 ohm is a resistor wire coil, higher, i.e. 2-3 ohms, is a straight 12v coil. It probably won't hold up long running it at 12v. Go with a tfi coil, they're .4 ohms and made to do the job with straight running 13.8-14.4 voltage. They work well w/HEI and CD type ignitions but will fry a DSII box before long.
It ain't gonna fix itself

mustang6
VIP Member

Post #9 by mustang6 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:47 am

I think I have a DS1 spark module (1974 only I think) box that matches that plug. Let me look in the shop tomorrow.
Scott

68 Mustang 200 ci, Aussie 250-2V head, Dual Headers, Comp Cams 252H, DSII w/MSD 6AL, T-5, V8 suspension.

65 Ranchero 200 ci, late 170 head, Autolite 1101, 3.03 3 speed, Maverick 8" 4 lug rear with 3.55 gears.

lavron

Post #10 by lavron » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:00 pm

I ordered the coil, ICM, and a couple of pigtails for the coil, here is a short list of what I am using the part numbers;

Standard Motor Products - LX301 Ignition Control Module (ICM) $21
Standard Motor Products - DR37 (DR-37) Ignition Coil $25
Standard Motor Products - HP4595 & HP4605 Ignition Coil Connectors $16

The Standard Motor Products items fit '88-'89 S10 Pickup amongst others and the ICM is for '78 Camaro 350 also this is just one it fits in.

I had looked at other coils but I know this one will work with the ICM and if I need a replacement on the road it should not be too difficult to get at a parts store almost anyplace.

The one thing not listed is the relay, I will try and post a wiring diagram when I get this little project started it will be a little different because the coil has 4 connectors, I am going to mount everything together in one unit and mount it under the dash and run a long coil cable to the distributor, I found a firewall feedthrough from MSD that should work fairly well and give it a neater appearance, so I will probably order one even though they are around $18-$19 each

I guess I will get $10 heatsink to mount the ICM on and then mount that on an aluminum plate with the coil and relay mounted on there as well.

Anyone know the proper relay to use? I just need to have a single connection from the battery to the coil and the ignition switch activating it.

See Ya,
Mike

wsa111
FSP Moderator

Post #11 by wsa111 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:38 pm

MSD makes a connector 8869 which plugs right into the distributor connector & has 2 wires output. It is made for a direct plugin to the MSD-6al box.
You can adapt it for your application.
Painless Wiring make a DS11 harness for $100.00 which has all the leads if using the Motorcraft box.
67 mustang,C-4, with mod. 80 hd, custom 500 cfm carb with annular boosters, hooker headers, dual exh.-X pipe, flowmaster mufflers, DSII dist. MSD-6al & MSD-Blaster 8252 Coil. Engine 205" .030" over with offset ground crank & 1.65 roller rockers. 9.5 comp., Isky 262 cam.
2003 Ford Lightning daily driver. Recurving Distributors. billythedistributorman@live.com