Got hit, then the radio blew????

Moderator: Mod Squad

pookster

Got hit, then the radio blew????

Post #1 by pookster » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:38 pm

A little while ago I had a cd player in my car under the dash. It was working great and I loved it. Then a lady hit me in the back quarterpanel. It was not to hard but it had to be replaced. As I got in my car to leave I turned it on and the radio blew and I saw a small puff of smoke. So I tried replacing the fuse and the radio lights came on for a second and then the puff of smoke and it was dead. So I took it out and tried to just hook up the power wires and ground (just trying different things) and it did the exact same thing. Then I disassembled my radio and could not see or smell any burn marks. I put it back together and the same thing again. So I was wondering what could be up with my radio? I am thinking of declaring it dead.

cevans2261

Blown Radio

Post #2 by cevans2261 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:38 pm

I am not very good with electronics but I know this: Radios + smoke = bad news. Now, is it fixable? My experience...probably not.

61Futura

Post #3 by 61Futura » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:58 pm

I'd guess that the accident or repair of the quarter panel caused a short to the speaker wire, probably to ground. That could cause the output amplifier to burn out and put out a puff of smoke and blow the fuse. I'd replace it but also replace your speaker wiring so you don't blow out the new cd player.

Steve
61 Futura now with '66 200 C4
88 Bronco II XLT 5spd
2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

thesameguy

Re: Got hit, then the radio blew????

Post #4 by thesameguy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:54 pm

Yeah, once you let the smoke out of the wires it's done for.

ludwig
VIP Member

Re: Got hit, then the radio blew????

Post #5 by ludwig » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:27 pm

Slow seeping smoke leak. Yup. Went critical.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.