Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Wiring Harness Upgrade

Moderator: Mod Squad

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Wiring Harness Upgrade

Post #1 by MPGmustang » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:46 pm

I would like something straight forward, easy and possible to do in 1 Saturday/weekend.

Which company did you choose/try? What are your experiences and would you go with them again? what did you like most about them or dislike most about them. if you did it again what would you do differently?

Thanks for your feed back.

I've honestly been thinking about painless kit for the 65 mustang, but they cost $716 where as the universal costs ~$300 and you get more circuits/options

am looking for a 1 wire solution, that would be very nice.
nothing much else except running aftermarket AC (which that wire harness is biting the dust right now because it can't support itself)
65mustang-SOLD-200ci-t5-scarebird disks-vintage air ac-264/274 110 cam-mav 8inch 3.8 open-350cfm-CI headers
66 Bronco-SOLD-i6 170 - rust bucket never ran...
75 bronco-SOLD-v8 c4 dana 20 33's and disk brakes, locker front/rear.

FalconSedanDelivery

Re: best wiring company

Post #2 by FalconSedanDelivery » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:03 pm

http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html , have used them good deal painless is a misnomer for sure
Falcon 6's, FE's I Like them both , Sold all My 6 cyl stuff ( for now at least ) glad to pass along some tips though

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Post #3 by MPGmustang » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:18 pm

GEM street rods
http://www.gemstreetrods.com/Wiring%20Kits.htm

Ron Francis
http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AC-67

EZ Wiring
http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html

Painless
http://www.painlessperformance.com/

I have been reading on this forum that painless isn't so great, more people are flocking to Ron Francis, and the fact they are $520 is middle point between basic painless and mustang painless... the other two GEM and EZ are very low price, and I'm afraid of the quality or thickness of the wire included.

still looking but might change to Ron Francis...
65mustang-SOLD-200ci-t5-scarebird disks-vintage air ac-264/274 110 cam-mav 8inch 3.8 open-350cfm-CI headers

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #4 by ludwig » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:34 pm

That EZ looks interesting but they don't have any dedicated harnesses for the Mustang or Falcon. What do you think would go best?

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

Does10s
FSP Moderator

Post #5 by Does10s » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:49 am

We put a Painless Universal 12 circuit into Kelly's Falcon a few years ago. I'd recommend them for sure. I'll be buying another one for my Econoline Pickup soon!

It's worked great! We were able to add in the SDS EFI System easy enough. We haven't had any issues with it at all.
The directions (yes I did read them!) :hmmm: needed to be rewritten to make them a bit more friendly. But they did get me to the finish. So I guess they weren't to bad!

But the worst part by far is just installing the thing! Working under the dash is NOT my idea of a good time! And trying to make wiring look good and organized it a PITA!

Later,
Will
'86 Mustang, Turbocharged, Best ET: 10.70@132.
'69 Mustang Sportsroof, 351w, auto
'63 Falcon, Turbocharged 250, C4, 9", Best ET: 10.64@127mph 11/21/14

stu in wichita

Post #6 by stu in wichita » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:20 am

I'm not sure that very many people can do a complete rewire from a kit in a weekend. Every connection needs to be correctly crimped or soldered, etc. If time is important, I'd keep looking for a NOS or other OEM style replacement harness. The universal kits have some real advantages (extra circuits, heavier gauge wiring, modern fuse panels, etc.), but take more time and effort to install.

I looked at a lot of brands and settled on this one:
http://affordablestreetrods.com/

RIch Fox is the owner and works directly with the customer. Most of the universal kits are set up for GM turn signals, ignition switch and 1-wire GM alt. Rich made up a special pigtail for my turn signals and set up the alternator wiring to my spec (I used a GM 3-wire so I could keep the GEN light functionality). The only thing I had to figure out was a harness for the back of the dash. If I had the old one I could have adapted it tto plug into the new wiring, but I had to start from nothing.

This was my first total rewire, but when I hooked up the battery, everything worked the first time. My cost was well under $400.

Good luck.
-Stu

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #7 by ludwig » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:06 pm

stu in wichita wrote:I'm not sure that very many people can do a complete rewire from a kit in a weekend.

It took me some three days. I used a stock repro harness from Larrys Mustang and T-Bird in Fullerton. I suppose I could have gotten it elsewhere. Must have been the price. It ended up being around $450.

Knowing what I know now, I would have preferred a modern harness. I sure could have used a few more circuits and modern fuses. And even though it was stock, I ended up having to do some mods here and there. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to keep the old harness. Then I labeled all the branches with white electricians tape flags. That really helped identify the runs when I put it back in. I had to clip an original connector and graft it on to the new wires for one or another thing or where the new wire was not long enough.

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Re: Wiring Harness Upgrade

Post #8 by MPGmustang » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:56 am

400-450 is pretty good for a few+ years, maybe I should spend 500-600 for my harness as prices have gone up.

American Auto Wire $659
http://www.americanautowire.com/64-66mustang.html

Just found them...
I have been finding alot of references for the EZ wiring, which is good and means that many go that route. I just might myself. But recently I found myself on the side of the road with a new dead battery and new reman 60 amp alt that I swapped temp cause my 100amp 3 wire bearings were shot. no the 60amp won't charge and run my 30amp electric fan. no to mention all the gremlim's I've been finding and try'n to fix. I really wanted to focus on the rear axle but I think the wiring is begging for attention right now.

Possible Solutions,
go buy another EBAY 100amp 3wire alt and slap it in hope it works, keep chasing gremlins until...
I get the wiring harness of choice and plug and play. (easier said than done) and maybe convert to a 1wire alt... I really want a volt guage, not an amp guage...

I really want this fixed, I'm tired of having a 'almost' dependable car, shoot I told a co worker today that my car will make the company errand easily and it won't break down. :bang: yeah it died on the off ramp of the major freeway and I had to push it up hill to get it out of traffic (shoulda just left it there) well that proved not reliable and I'm disapointed/embarrassed. and just a few weeks ago I pushed it home 1 mile for the same problem... electrical gremlins... I would just like everything to work with the flick of the switch like it's supposed to.

I'm not afraid of wiring, I guess I'm just uncertain of what I'm getting in the kit and don't want to make a mistake in what I want/need and make the right investment. I can do all the reading I want but untill I actually do it I'm shooting in the dark of what I get/expect and know what I can work with. I just don't like that kind of blind jump for something that can be expensive. well, my plan will be my solution, still deciding on which wiring harness I want/will get. I figure I can drop the ford connectors and go with anything that works great. I'm an IT admin so making connectors is easy for me. it's the routing and making the right connections that get me.

I appreciate all the reviews and comments with which company you went with, it helps me out decide.

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Post #9 by MPGmustang » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:23 am

American Auto Wire
http://www.americanautowire.com/powerplus20.html

This is thier generic, but from what I've been reading online the switches will be changed over to what AAW gives with the kit, even possibly the dimmer switch. even if you get the mustang one I linked above.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #10 by ludwig » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:23 am

What ever you decide, take out the gauge pod, the radio and the glove box. Then you can run all the wires from sitting or laying in the seat, not laying on your back looking up. They are not hard to get out and how ever much time it takes to put them back in, you have more than saved it in stress, discomfort and confusion.

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Post #11 by MPGmustang » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:44 pm

I find on ebay a few 100amp 3 wire alternators, just bought my 2nd one, but what car did they come out of? and is there any 3 wire alternators that have higher output? I would like a 120-150amp alt as I hope to upgrade the sound system some day. currently using a 55watt system so no worries on 100 amp.

I would like to keep the 3 wire as I've been reading there are advantages to them. I don't care what 3 wire I go to or type/brand. I just hope I can get it at the parts counter.

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Post #12 by MPGmustang » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:38 pm

well for now I picked up a 3 wire chrome 100 amp ford alternator, it looks shiny but most importantly it works. I think I was getting ahead of myself there on the wiring it will happen, but I want to do it stupidly smart and when I'm ready for it.

Ludwig, you make an excellent point, I think when I do upgrade the wiring I'll look into a different guage pod as well since I'll be running new wires and such.

would like to keep it somewhat cheap side so mabye classic 5 guage pod and 2 remote pods for vacuum and rpm. cleaning up my steering column a bit.

still on the hunt for more wiring companies and your thoughts on them.

cruzingratiot

Post #13 by cruzingratiot » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:31 pm

Donate Life
6-7-04 Liver Transplant Recipitant
http://www.iaod.org/ International Association for Organ Donation
http://www.donatelife.net/ U S A for Organ Donation
Thank You
My Ranchero Album click here

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Post #14 by MPGmustang » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:44 am

just going through the check list of how many circuits are needed for my car.

1) HID headlights
2) LED Tail lights (sequential turn signals)
3) turn signals
4) radio (thinking of adding a 300-400 watt ammp? I'm no music junkie but want it to sound better than the 45 amp)
5) ignition
6) door lights (courtesy lights)
7) AC conpressor
8) Intsrument lights (dimmer functional)
9) Electric Fan (high/low settings should be separate so this should take 2 circuits)
10) Blower (for AC or heat) with low/med separate from high
11) sig lighter
12) electric choke (can't I tie this into something that's already running low current?)
13) horn

Thinking I would like:
14) remote door locks

so 2 for radio (putting the amp on it's own), 2 for electric radiator fan, and 2 for blower...

comes out to 14-15 circuits...

reason to split them is that the current rad fan can pop a 30 amp fuse, but if ran on separate fuses (low for one and both for high) then it won't pop and I can run two 20 amp fuses.
the blower is the same, it runs 2 relays and it breaks the 2nd (high) relay often when fan's on high.
the radio IDK... some input would be helpful I figure plan for it and use it if nessesary.

remote door locks, I'm looking into simple kits. would be nice but hope that it's not "high-jack-able" and hear most are so this one has me iffy, but would be very nice and convienent

The Plankster Prankster

Post #15 by The Plankster Prankster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:14 pm

things like the rad fan that take too much power for an existing circuit should be wired with one heavier circuit, not 2 lighter ones. fuses are available in all sizes, so why not switch to a larger size of fuse and use a 40a fuse, or even larger if needed. and of course run wires of the right size for the load. i suspect that the starting load for the fan is too much for your 30a fuse, but its running load is only about 20a, and its standard practice to run wires big enough for the continuous load and have them overloaded just for a second while starting the motor.

also consider that manufacturers often have multiple accessories share a fuse, with the intent of a smaller fuse box and less wire, but then people get confused about how one accessory blew the fuse that controls something else...

electric choke is usually powered by the stator wire of the alternator, so we don't need to count it.

for the radio, it will need one fused wire from the battery, and another fused circuit that is switched by the key to turn the radio on and off. the amplifier will need a fairly heavy circuit to power it. if we look at the 400w size you mentioned, that comes to about 33 amps, which is slightly above the rating for a 10ga wire. many people have larger amps with like a 2-ga wire powering it, but thats more sound than you'll ever need.

just make sure the wiring and fuse exceeds the load by at least 20%. i learned this one the hard way, by installing a circuit with a 9.2 amp load on a 10a fuse. the plastic of the fuse and the fuse holder melted, but the fuse didn't blow.
83 F250 flatbed 300-6, NP435, 4X4, 5800lbs empty weight
87 E-350 6.9 diesel, c6, 3.55s, powertrax no-slip locker, onboard 120v power and compressed air, built out with toolboxes and toys

MPGmustang
FSP Moderator

Post #16 by MPGmustang » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:49 pm

the checklist is really just things I want to work, and plan for, I figure some will share a circuit somewhere... I'll mostly follow the diagrahm...

reason for dual circuit electric fan... correct me if wrong... my elec fan has 2 on wires, if either is on it's low, but if both are on it's high. this gives a unique opportunity to have one wired @ AC compressor on AND @ 190* and the other wired @ 180* on.
Either way I want high to be running if it's hot and AC is on, I figure low will be only on during winter where the AC system isn't used.
but what do you think? should still run it off one fuse 35-40amp? it draws (via documentation) 27 amps high or 17 low.