Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Testing Falcon Wagon Power Tailgate Switch

Moderator: Mod Squad

pikesan

Testing Falcon Wagon Power Tailgate Switch

Post #1 by pikesan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:00 am

Hey everyone,
My tailgate is almost back together. I have everything installed, the window goes up and down by the wires coming out of the tailgate, so that's good! But, before I close everything up, I want to make sure the switch is working correctly. (I want this to be the last time I open that thing up!! :bang: )

I have a 1962 Falcon book, but the colors don't match what I have. (I don't know what year the power setup is... I bought it separately. I know it's from a round body)

I also have the dash switch (actually, it's a convertible top switch) that I can hook up.

Simple (I hope) question: What wires get power and ground to try and operate the window with the key switch mounted on the tailgate? I have a red, yellow, red-org strip and another red. No green (it's cut, not connected to anything yet) and I don't have any "Limit Switch".

Any advice would really be appreciated!
-pikesan
See all my cars here: Pikesan's Garage What's in your garage?

pikesan

Re: Testing Falcon Wagon Power Tailgate Switch

Post #2 by pikesan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Nobody's worked on these?
I did finally figure out what/where the limit switch is thanks to this page: http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/Tailgate/El ... itch1.html
I'm pretty sure I don't have one like that, or I've been staring at it for a while and never SAW it...

Thanks for any help!

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #3 by ludwig » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Well, Edd China on "Car Shouters" (or whatever that English thing is called on VelocityTV) just touched the leads to a 12v battery to test a DeLorean window motor. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong way. Do you have a wiring diagram? That will tell you the colors and connections.

If you test it on the battery one way and it goes up and test it the other way and it goes down, that will tell you what is ground and what is hot. The hot will be on the + side.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

rickwrench

Post #4 by rickwrench » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:08 am

Ford tailgate wiring diagrams.
Click the "home" link for other years/models FoMoCo electric window diagrams if yours is of unknown (blue oval) origin.
Rick(wrench)
'62 Falcon Wagons (x2), Kellison J5, V8 Alfa GTam, Corvair Corsa:
www.rickwrench.com

pikesan

Post #5 by pikesan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I FIXED IT!

The wiring I had must have been altered at some time, or maybe it just took me that long to figure out what really was pretty simple. There was a wire looking for a limit switch that I don't have. That wire needed to route back to the UP side of the motor red/white stripe wire. Once I touched those two together, then powered the red/orange stripe wire and grounded the whole thing... MONEY! Window goes up/down with the key. I even hooked up the dash switch and made that work.

In the end, I soldered the red wire to the red/white wire near the connector. Now just got to (FINALLY!) put it all back together so I can move on to other projects.

Happy holidays everyone! Merry Christmas!!
pikesan