Ammeter to voltmeter conversion

Moderator: Mod Squad

caspianfstbk

Ammeter to voltmeter conversion

Post #1 by caspianfstbk » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:48 pm

I have a 66 Mustang with new American Auto Wire wiring. I would like to do an ammeter to voltmeter conversion. I checked into having an instrument shop do a conversion but everyone wants me to send the entire instrument cluster with a six week turnaround. I do not want to lay the car up for six to eight weeks so I would like to do it myself if possible. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray A-

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Ammeter to voltmeter conversion

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:11 pm

Check out (below link) this a post by Beaus67 on his 1967 Mustang gauge upgrade and you could probally do the same too on your 1966 if you can source the right size (diameter) of gauges to fit. Good luck :nod:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70419
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

jamyers
VIP Member

Post #3 by jamyers » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:58 pm

Wiring a voltmeter in is easy-peasy, mounting one might be the hard part.

Ignore the existing ammeter wiring, tape it back to the harness out of the way if need be - I'm not familiar with Mustang gauge clusters, but here's what I did on my '69 Chevy pickup: Cut the existing 'circuit board' contacts out, then mounted a cheapie voltmeter, then pulled 12V from the existing harness to the new gauge, and ran a ground from the gauge to ground.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/show ... stcount=27

To wire it, just find any source of key-on (switched) 12V. Can be the back of the ignition switch, the fusebox, gauge power feeds, etc.
James - '62 Ranchero (200cid), '71 LeSabre (464cid)

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.

caspianfstbk

Post #4 by caspianfstbk » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Thanks guys. I am thinking about trying to mount the guts from a parts house meter in place of the ammeter internals. The mounting hole on the instrument cluster is not a standard size so I need to use the current ammeter housing unit but would like to transfer in volt meter internals. Was hoping someone had done something like that and could offer advice. I know instrument shops can do it, just don't know how they go about it. All the shops have a 6-8 week turn around time and require the whole cluster. I do not want to loose the use of my car for that long during peak show and use time.