Universal wiring kit questions?

Moderator: Mod Squad

papawfalcon

Universal wiring kit questions?

Post #1 by papawfalcon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:11 pm

I want to buy a universal wiring kit for my '62 Ranchero. I want to use my ignition switch and light switch. I tried this 5 or 6 years ago and never got it to work. Does anyone know how to wire a Falcon ignition and light switch to a universal wiring kit. I know the problem is the wiring is setup for gm. Thanks!
FALCONS AND RANCHERO'S FOREVER

gus91326

Re: Universal wiring kit questions?

Post #2 by gus91326 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:13 pm

If you know what each wire coming off each switch is, should be straightforward to locate the corresponding wire on the schematic from your universal harness.

I'd keep the factory switch and cut the wires a few inches from the switch connectors and solder them to the wiring. That way you don't have to locate any of (possibly) special connectors or harnesses.

papawfalcon

Post #3 by papawfalcon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:02 pm

The last on I bought had an extra hot wire for the ignition wiring and because I had no place to hook it up it would not work.
FALCONS AND RANCHERO'S FOREVER

gus91326

Post #4 by gus91326 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:40 pm

In that instance, see where that hot wire needed to go- did it need switched (momentary) power or accessory power? You can make some mods on placement once you know what purpose that wire serves.

thesameguy

Post #5 by thesameguy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:53 pm

You are going to need to make a lot of mods to make a universal harness work with your existing ignition and light switch. The ignition switch is easy enough - you basically have always hot, two switched hot positions (run and accessory) and start. That's not a big deal as it's common to most domestic cars. But, the factory fuse box is built into the light switch so you need to bypass that. I did that when I installed a custom fuse panel and it's not *too* difficult, but it's definitely time consuming. Get the factory manual with the wiring schematics if you don't have it already, it will tell you everything you need to know. I think there are five or six circuits that pass through that switch - all lights except for the radio, blower, and something else I'm forgetting. You can simply unplug the fuse panel and use flag-style crimp connectors to patch the appropriate wires from your new harness to the old switch.

This is what the back of the factory fuseholder looks like -

You can see it's just standard 1/4" quick disconnects. The flag crimp connectors you buy go in place of these - you just need six of them.

Here is the other side:

Those eleven-ish wires will be your connections to the new harness. The factory manual tells you exactly what each color goes to. Just match them up with the appropriate functions on the new harness.

Here is a clearer view of the fuseholder with the wires removed:

Here is what I did, which isn't what you're doing, but if you look to the right of the silver box (ignition computer) you can see about a dozen wires. Those are the wires that bridge my fuse panel between the factory harness and the light switch. It's not a lot of wiring. But you really need the factory manual so you can figure out what positions on the light switch do what.

Also, bear in mind that because the light switch is a combo switch (each position does more than one thing) you may need to do some adapting for your harness. For example, on the Falcon Position 1 is parking lights and tail lights on, but headlights off and Position 2 is parking lights off but headlights and taillights on. That's not how a newer car would work, the parking lights remain on with the headlights. You may find that fusing on the new panel doesn't allow for this, so you'll either need to rework it a little or accept that your lights don't behave exactly the same. The rest of the stuff - blower, radio, dome, etc. - will be easy.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/mi ... older2.jpg