Fusable link?

Moderator: Mod Squad

papawfalcon

Fusable link?

Post #1 by papawfalcon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:53 pm

I was going to replace the complete wiring on my Ranchero, but! So I bought a new ignition plug and will rewire.The question I have is the fusible link from the ignition switch to the coil? Can this be wired with a fuse or ? if not what size wire, is it gauged like regular wire? Do I need it my motor does not have points. THANKS!
FALCONS AND RANCHERO'S FOREVER

thesameguy

Re: Fusable link?

Post #2 by thesameguy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:31 pm

I don't remember there being a fusible link on the coil - maybe you're thinking of the resistor wire?

jamyers
VIP Member

Post #3 by jamyers » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:20 pm

There is no fusible link to the coil, some vehicles used a resistor wire, which was often just a long piece of tiny wire (in my '71 Buick it was a 15-foot long piece of like 28-gauge) .

If you don't have mechanical points, 99% of the electronic ignitions use full 12V.
James - '62 Ranchero (200cid), '71 LeSabre (464cid)

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.

thesameguy

Post #4 by thesameguy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Resistor wire is not just tiny wire - it's a segment of wire that offers a specific resistance value, and typically has an extra-durable outer sheath to contain the heat it generates. It might also be smaller than the wire its attached to, but that's incidental, not a part of its nature. It's typically pink, denoting the tungsten wire. It's length doesn't affect its resistance, but helps it manage heat so you typically don't want to shorten it.

Fusible link is regular wire but is "undersized" for its specific application so that it fails before the wire it's attached to. Fusible link has a special insulation that resists melting so that when the wire it contains does melt, the molten wire inside doesn't melt anything else or catch fire.

Definitely want to use the right type of wire for the application - it really is specialized. Using the wrong type could result in a failure or a fire!

papawfalcon

Post #5 by papawfalcon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Ok it is the pink resistor wire on my '62 Ranchero I was talking about.(in to big of a hurry this morning ).This pink wire goes from ignition switch to firewall and then changes and goes to the coil and solinoid.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #6 by bubba22349 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:37 pm

Yes the Pink resistor wire going to the coil you can get a new replacement at most any auto parts store. X3 If you are keeping the stock point type ignistion then you for sure need to keep it. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

papawfalcon

Resistor wire

Post #7 by papawfalcon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:56 am

Ok, I went to the auto parts stores and this resistor wire with shipping is $50 plus two place said there is no universal to soulder conections to only pre-made.I was told by one man to buy a resistor coil that would be about $25. WOW all this for maybe 2 foot of wire. There has got to be a better way.What about a resistor like mopar used?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #8 by bubba22349 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:04 pm

Yeah that might work ok or you can use the old resistor unit that the 1957 to early 1960's Ford cars and trucks used it bolted onto the firewall. Corse maybe the Pink resistor wire that you have is still good enough to reuse. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

papawfalcon

Post #9 by papawfalcon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:17 pm

Actually I have no origanal wiring to use.Last year I bought a wiring harness(fuse box and wires). So to save money I bought a Falcon ignition plug and I have a wiring dighram for the falcon. I may not know a lot about Falcon wiring but over the last 40 year it is the only wires and dighram I KINDA understand. I do have a complete underdash wiring for my sons '63 (not installed) that I can used for referance.Thanks for the help!

thesameguy

Post #10 by thesameguy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:59 pm

You don't need (or want) the resistor wire if you're not keeping the points ignition. If you're doing Pertronix, Duraspark, HEI, whatever there is no purpose for that resistor wire. If you are intending to run points, just hit up NAPA and ask for an ignition ballast resistor - they are standard and available for $10-$20. Replace that section of wire with standard automotive primary wire and mount the resistor somewhere out of the way, where nothing will melt touching it. :) The factory firewall position is a good idea. You could also probably bury it in the fender like Volvo did. :)