HEADLIGHT PROBLEM PLEASE HELP

Moderator: Mod Squad

Whiskeysixer

HEADLIGHT PROBLEM PLEASE HELP

Post #1 by Whiskeysixer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:26 am

Hey guys,

My 1978 Granada's Headlights start turning on an off by themselves after the cars been on running for 20-30 minutes. (Only while switch is ON)

I've tried playing with the wires and all and I've even tried messing with the switch.. nothing I do seems to make them turn on and off, they do it Completely by them selves. I've even bounced around on the bumper to simulate car shaking and all as if it was a vibration thing but no results. I've stopped driving completely and even in park they will turn on and off.

Can't figure it out. Please help.

B RON CO
VIP Member

Re: HEADLIGHT PROBLEM PLEASE HELP

Post #2 by B RON CO » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:51 am

Hi, you need a new headlight switch. The switch is acting like a circuit breaker. When it heats up it shuts off, and when it cools down the lights come back on. This is a common problem, especialy if you add super brite halogens or other high draw headlights. Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

Whiskeysixer

Post #3 by Whiskeysixer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:04 pm

Are you referring to the actual headlight switch next to the steering wheel inside the cabin ?

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #4 by B RON CO » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi, yes that is were the problem is. Look up a headlight switch for your car. The switch we are talking about is probably the same switch for most Fords. In the dash. Good luck

Whiskeysixer

Post #5 by Whiskeysixer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:33 am

Thank you for your quick reply. I will let you know the results after I do some night driving. But my marker lights or parking lights... (the lights that are also used as my turn signals are on and solid whenever my headlifhts are on)

ALSO My turn signals won't flash .. I've dug under the dash and could only find the flasher for the hazards, which works fine.

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #6 by B RON CO » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi, the marker side lamps, front marker lights, and tail lights should work fine. They, and the dash lights, turn on when you pull the headlight switch out half way, or the 1st stop. This is independent of the headlights and high beam, which is pull out all the way, or 2nd stop. If your turn signals don't work put the 4 way hazard flasher on and check all the bulbs, if the bulbs are good keep looking for the directional flasher. Good luck

65fback

Post #7 by 65fback » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:05 pm

X2 on what BRONCO said.
'65 Mustang Fastback

Whiskeysixer

Post #8 by Whiskeysixer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:20 pm

So here is what's going on:

Replaced the headlight switch. Headlights are no longer cutting off. When I turn the head lights on, the marker lights turn on and stay on with the headlights. Is this normal? (When I pull the switch all the way out.)

Turn signals still won't flash. I've turn on the hazards and checked the bulbs .. all are working and flashing. I have searched everywhere under the dash for a second flasher unit (one specifically for the directionals). I can not find it. Is it possible that there is only one flasher unit for both the directionals and the hazards and that the switch is the corporate.. or a ground wire ?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #9 by bubba22349 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:25 pm

Whiskeysixer wrote:So here is what's going on:

Replaced the headlight switch. Headlights are no longer cutting off. When I turn the head lights on, the marker lights turn on and stay on with the headlights. Is this normal? (When I pull the switch all the way out.)

Turn signals still won't flash. I've turn on the hazards and checked the bulbs .. all are working and flashing. I have searched everywhere under the dash for a second flasher unit (one specifically for the directionals). I can not find it. Is it possible that there is only one flasher unit for both the directionals and the hazards and that the switch is the corporate.. or a ground wire ?

The marker lights / running lights were designed to be on with the headlites as a safety feature on cars and trucks on that era. Yes there should be a separate Flasher located on the top of the fuse block. Also check that the fuse is good for the tail lights, and yes if that doesn't solve the non working turn signal problem then the turn signal switch may be bad or it may have dirty contacts. Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

oldgrezmonke

Post #10 by oldgrezmonke » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:20 pm

I don't have a manual anymore that shows Granadas but the Auto Zone Repair guide shows both the turn signal and emergency flashers would be found at the "Front seating area, driver side, under dash, mounted on passenger side of steering column" . It's been a long time since I worked on a Granada but I believe all domestic cars and trucks from that era had separate flashers for each function [my '81 Ford F-100 does] so look to see if there is a similar empty electrical plug near the E-flasher . It should be for basically the same 2 prong type flasher . How long has this been a problem ?
First car - 1961 Falcon Deluxe 4door , had 1968-73
Present - 1963 1/2 Falcon 4door base model , since 2009 ,
frequent driver , work in progress
Yes I like 4doors
Lifetime member # 117 NSRA
Former A.S.E. certified mechanic
FCA member # 13677
Admin FFOG

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #11 by B RON CO » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:21 am

HI, yes two separate flashers. If the directionals used to work for you the old flasher is hiding some where. If they never worked for you maybe the flasher is missing (doubt it ). It could have been pushed up high over the steering column or ash tray. Good luck