2 new starters, same problem

Moderator: Mod Squad

SweetSix

2 new starters, same problem

Post #1 by SweetSix » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:18 am

Hi All,
This is my first post. Looking for advice.
I've got a '65 Ranchero, 200 cu, automatic. It was a basket case when I got it 5 years ago and have been slowly restoring it as time, money allows.
Last week I replaced the starter with an Autozone Duralast 3131. started fine, but the next day it intermittently would not catch- the starter would "whir", but the engine wouldn't turn over. After 6-8 attempts it would catch, engine turned over and car started.
So I removed starter and exchanged for a another and... the 2nd starter does the exact same thing.
Of course it's possible that both crappy starters are faulty, but... does anyone know of a possible alternative explanation, problem???
Thanks in advance

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: 2 new starters, same problem

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:51 pm

Your ring gear maybe bad on the torque converter look for damaged or missing teeth. Also make sure your using the correct starter for your application there are two different ones one is 3/8 of inch off set and the other is 3/4 inch in depth for the starter drive. When you take the starter out measure the depth from the starter mounting surface to the ring gear and check it against the starter. Did you match the new one up to your old original starter? Good luck :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

SweetSix

Post #3 by SweetSix » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:49 am

Yo Bubba, you rock!
I'll need to research exactly where the, "ring gear...on the torque converter" is in order to inspect- anyone have a diagram? I thought it was just "starter gear-to-flywheel" kind of thing...
Also, I need to use the car tomorrow (it's a daily runner, always will be) so I went back to Autozone (which is a whole other story), before I read your reply and swapped out for a third starter, which I insisted be tested FIVE times before I left the store, and just finished installing it in a light drizzle on my driveway at 10PM.
I tried it once and it turned over and started just fine. Tomorrow is another day. Time will tell.
I greatly appreciate your knowledgable reply and will let you know what happens- but it might be a few days as I must go fishing in the next day or two and my sweet-six needs to get me there.
Thanks much!

thesameguy

Post #4 by thesameguy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:44 pm

Automatic transmissions don't have flywheels - they have flex plates. The ring gear is pressed on around the edges of the flex plate to give the starter something to spin. When removed, the ring gear looks like a ring, hence its name. It can become damaged, resulting in the starter not working or working only intermittently.

jamyers
VIP Member

Post #5 by jamyers » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:16 pm

I've found that Autozone starters (and alternators) are a crapshoot. The lifetime-warranty ones are slightly better than the 1-year ones, but still.
James - '62 Ranchero (200cid), '71 LeSabre (464cid)

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.

SweetSix

Post #6 by SweetSix » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:31 pm

I've driven the car frequently over the last week with no problems- started every time.
The trouble seems to have been with the Autozone starters. Third time's a charm.
Thanks all for advice!

jamyers
VIP Member

Post #7 by jamyers » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Yup - sadly, "Remanufactured" doesn't mean much anymore, be it starters, alternators, or especially carburetors (NEVER buy a parts store reman carb!!!)

Heck, I've seen brand new parts for newer cars that don't meet OEM specs, even AC Delco and Autolite.
James - '62 Ranchero (200cid), '71 LeSabre (464cid)

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.

thesameguy

Post #8 by thesameguy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:33 pm

jamyers wrote:especially carburetors (NEVER buy a parts store reman carb!!!)

Man, truer words were never spoken.

rafaelb

Post #9 by rafaelb » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:23 pm

When I was a kid back in the 70s we had a 1967 Mercury Cougar XR7, and one morning went out to start the car to go to school. No crank.

Neighborhood garage tows car in. Someone stole the starter right off the car in our apartment parking lot.

Mechanic installs rebuilt starter. Works one week, then starts grinding.
Mechanic installs second rebuilt starter. Works one week, then starts grinding.
Mechanic installs third rebuilt starter (gotta love warrantees…) Works one week, then starts grinding.

Take car to second mechanic who was ex-Indy mechanic (too much drinking, long story)

He discovers whomever was rebuilding the starters was putting the gear on backwards, meaning it overshot the ring gear by THIS much….
1964 Ranchero Deluxe 200cid 4sp future Rat Rod?