Headlight Wiper and Dual Tank switches

Moderator: Mod Squad

1990inline6

Headlight Wiper and Dual Tank switches

Post #1 by 1990inline6 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:17 pm

What I am wanting to do is get rid of the factory headlight switch, the wiper turn knob thing and the the bulky dual tank switch on my 90 150. I just don't like the pull out for the headlights the twist for the wipers and the big and bulky tank switch. I want something a little more low profile.

My question is that if I get some switches like this: http://www.parts-express.com/Data/Defau ... 0_HR_0.jpg is there a way to bypass the headlight switch on these trucks? So that way one way all the headlights taillights and gauge lights are either on or off. Same thing with the wipers just bypass the bulky turn knob thing and either on or off with a switch.

And so on for the dual tanks however with a different switch wire it something like this: up is front take and down is back tank.

I know I could wire it (if it's possible) and if there is really way to bypass the way that Ford has got it.

any help is greatly appreciated

thesameguy

Re: Headlight Wiper and Dual Tank switches

Post #2 by thesameguy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:44 am

Anything is possible, but those switches are actually quite complex internally - you see two or three positions but they are doing a fair amount of work, for example turning on multiple circuits (head, tail, parking, interior lights). In order to replicate that functionality with two-position rocker switches, you'd need to study the wiring diagram and the switches themselves. Having had to do this type of stuff on race cars where big portions of the factory equipment is missing, it's not something I'd personally tackle for fun.