Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry

Unknown->> M.Ketterer, T.Smith, J.Myers, P.McIntire - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

Electrical Confusion on my 68 Mustang

Moderator: Mod Squad

MustangDadDrake

Electrical Confusion on my 68 Mustang

Post #1 by MustangDadDrake » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Hello,

Novice here in need of some electrical help.

I wanted to add audio to my 68 Mustang so I bought a compact Kenwood bluetooth amp. I want to keep the original look so it is hidden in the dash and music plays through the in-dash speaker. I tied into the blue/white wire for my constant power and my yellow/black wire for my power. These wires that come from the ignition switch.

Day #1 Everything works and I was happy. I had the car running as I was adjusting the timing/fuel mixture then it died and would not start at all. Sounded like the battery was toast. So I tried jumping it and still nothing.

Day #2 I tested the battery and I read 12.8 amps (little high but ok). Then I went and started it and it started and my confusion began.

Day #3 it started and I went and got gas and it died on the way home and would not start. I would give it gas and it would want to start until finally it would not turn over at all. A couple hours later I went back to try to start it but nothing would turn on, no lights, no flashers, I turn the key and nothing. I test the battery again and I am still at 12.8 amps.

I do not understand why it would start then die while driving then not want to start at all. Today is day #4 and I am going to see if it starts and if it does I will be even more confused than before.

This seems like a tricky one and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Link to amp manual: Kenwood Manual
1968 Mustang from Pops. Current to do list: have fun and learn new things

pmuller9

Re: Electrical Confusion on my 68 Mustang

Post #2 by pmuller9 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:07 pm

When you say the engine doesn't start, do mean that the starter is not turning the engine or do you mean the engine turns over but will not run?

Also I'm sure you mean the battery is at 12.8 volts not amps.
Where are you taking this reading at?
Is it from the battery post or from the battery cable post on the starter solenoid to the engine block?

MustangDadDrake

Post #3 by MustangDadDrake » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:38 pm

Yep volts not amps.

Also i took the readings at the posts and at the solenoid connection.

However, I do not think this is an electrical issue after all. As the next day she fires up. She seems to die when warmed up.

If you still think it could be electrical let me know. I have this other post going right now...

Other Post

pmuller9

Post #4 by pmuller9 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:04 pm

I looked at the other post and it appears that there are times when the engine does nothing when the ignition key is turned to start?
Does the starter always turn the engine over?

MustangDadDrake

Post #5 by MustangDadDrake » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Sorry for the delay.

Usually when I turn the key it turns over but I did have a scenario where when I turned the key absolutely nothing happened.

I am almost positive that the engine gets flooded and that is the reason for the stall. However I cannot explain why the car won’t turn over or even light up after it stalls.

mustang6
VIP Member

Post #6 by mustang6 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:26 am

If you can actually get it to stall where you have tools and can test some things, that will help. Intermittent issues that don't happen when you are at home can be tough to diagnose.

For example- if it won't turn over, there are many things you can test, battery voltage/load, bypassing the ignition switch, bypassing the solenoid, testing the starter on it's own. Unless the engine has has seized up (which can be tested with a socket on a ratchet), you can test those things in order and determine the cause.

Heat induced electrical problems can be tricky- I've seen starters that won't turn over when hot, distributors that fail when they get hot (electronic, and condensors on points), resistor wires that get too resistive when hot, etc.

But if your car stalls when warm and turns over but won't start, you are right it could be fuel but once again that can be troubleshot- does fuel boil out of the carb and down the venturi when running? after it stalls does the accelerator pump have a fuel shot in it? If a plug pulled after it's stalled, does it smell of fuel or look wet?

You can break this down into small things to test and post your findings here for feedback.
Scott

68 Mustang 200 ci, Aussie 250-2V head, Dual Headers, Comp Cams 252H, DSII w/MSD 6AL, T-5, V8 suspension.

65 Ranchero 200 ci, late 170 head, Autolite 1101, 3.03 3 speed, Maverick 8" 4 lug rear with 3.55 gears.