Wire repair

Moderator: Mod Squad

Spaceage60

Wire repair

Post #1 by Spaceage60 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:50 am

Hi all,
I'm just starting to get my hands around my little comet. Before I attempt to get it running, I noticed some very bad (frayed, bad splicing from past repairs) wiring just behind where the battery sits on a 60'
The wiring appears to be the generator wiring.. a fairly thick yellow wire, that's in horrible condition and two smaller wires that go directly to the generator (I believe one is brown with a white stripe) the other is unidentifiable. I'd really like to really repair this properly, mind you I'm not restoring this car, I just want it safe. Do these wires originate from the voltage regulator? I've not removed the wire coverings yet.. would like some input on the best way to attack this.
Happy Saturday

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Wire repair

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:25 am

Spaceage60 wrote:Hi all,
I'm just starting to get my hands around my little comet. Before I attempt to get it running, I noticed some very bad (frayed, bad splicing from past repairs) wiring just behind where the battery sits on a 60'
The wiring appears to be the generator wiring.. a fairly thick yellow wire, that's in horrible condition and two smaller wires that go directly to the generator (I believe one is brown with a white stripe) the other is unidentifiable. I'd really like to really repair this properly, mind you I'm not restoring this car, I just want it safe. Do these wires originate from the voltage regulator? I've not removed the wire coverings yet.. would like some input on the best way to attack this.
Happy Saturday

Welcome to the best Ford six site, I moved your post to the more correct "Electrical Forum" so it will be seen by more site members. Yes that wiring harness goes from the generator to the voltage regulator it is small seperate harness just for the charging system. There are a number of ways to repair it. You could run new wires individually to replace the originals, search for a good orginal harness by posting an add in our Wanted / Parts For Sale section or check at your local junk yards, Craigslist etc. there are vintage auto parts houses that also sell the wiring harness too. To help you decide if you might want to rewire it yourself there is a factory wiring diagram in the link below. Lastly many people remove the generator an upgrade to the 1965 up alternator system too. Good luck :nod:

1960 Ford Falcon and Comet wiring diagram
http://www.auto-wiring-diagram.com/4627 ... alcon.html

A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #3 by powerband » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:38 pm

little comet. Before I attempt to get it running

this diagram might help:

New crimp eye-lugs can renew old wiring or suitable wiring substituted.

another little comet

heve fum

"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."

thesameguy

Post #4 by thesameguy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Cost-wise, it may be very worthwhile to do that alternator upgrade. $30 for the brackets, $40 for the alternator, and then you get to remove most of that old wiring.

http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon- ... 24p157.htm

On a full resto an alternator upgrade is probably not the right approach, but for a car you just want to drive and enjoy the alternator will be more reliable and more efficient. It's a good, inexpensive upgrade.

Spaceage60

Post #5 by Spaceage60 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated. The car is not stock, so the alternator upgrade is going to happen.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #6 by bubba22349 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:32 pm

Well then you should just remove the compleate Generator system and sell or trade to someone that has an all orginal car yet. Then decide how many Amps you will need for your cars electrical system. Then you will be able to pick from one of the many Alternator systems to meet that need. Good luck :nod:

A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.