Photobucket no longer hosts photos to third party (e.g. fordsix) websites

Moderator: Mod Squad

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Photobucket no longer hosts photos to third party (e.g. fordsix) websites

Post #1 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:55 am

Photobucket no longer hosts photos to third party (e.g. fordsix) websites. They want users to pay now for their services - about $400 /yr - which I will not. Hence, my avatar no longer appears. Is there a way to upload photos from my extensive personal computer collection? Other sites, such as the HAMB on jalopyjournal enable this. Can this one? All the neat photos I've posted on here are about to disappear. Many thanks.

6re6
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

ledslinger29

Re: Photobucket no longer hosts photos to third party (e.g. fordsix) websites

Post #2 by ledslinger29 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:12 pm

I second the need for an ability to post photos. Would donations make this possible?
68 Bronco Halfcab 170 wallered out .060 over, oversized valves, zero decked, 9:1 SCR, Autolite 1100 w/ Loadomatic/Pertronix, Schneider 248/56H cam

CNC-Dude

Post #3 by CNC-Dude » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:09 pm

It has to do with the brand of forum software. The software brand this forum uses(phpBB) and many others use(UBBThreads)do not support the ability to host pictures, that's why 3rd party hosting is required. Only changing to a completely different forum software will accomplish this, and it will be like starting over with all the info that is already posted here being lost. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

Asa
Location: Tampa, Tallahassee, Hangin out in some Florida woods somewhere

Post #4 by Asa » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:29 pm

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER wrote:Photobucket no longer hosts photos to third party (e.g. fordsix) websites. They want users to pay now for their services - about $400 /yr - which I will not. Hence, my avatar no longer appears. Is there a way to upload photos from my extensive personal computer collection? Other sites, such as the HAMB on jalopyjournal enable this. Can this one? All the neat photos I've posted on here are about to disappear. Many thanks.

6re6

I've been using Imgur.com for years. I have something like 3000+ images, most that are ones I took, meaning they are roughly 5100x3500 pixels.

http://i.imgur.com/sxflrOq.jpg
Right and Wrong are just words, what matters is what you do

Susie - a work in progress
Clyde - ya mule!

arse_sidewards

Post #5 by arse_sidewards » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:58 am

A short term fix is to include a link to your photobucket account in your sig/profile and to link to the photo-bucket page for the image rather than embed it.

CNC-Dude wrote:It has to do with the brand of forum software. The software brand this forum uses(phpBB) and many others use(UBBThreads)do not support the ability to host pictures, that's why 3rd party hosting is required. Only changing to a completely different forum software will accomplish this, and it will be like starting over with all the info that is already posted here being lost. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

Adding image/attachment storage to phpBB isn't hard, it's just time or money, both of which are in short supply around here. Also, storage and bandwidth are $$.

If you add image storage the problem then becomes that you become an image host yourself. One fix is to do what photo-bucket did and not allow external links.

Another solution is to cache images for an insanely long time, not serve them to 3rd parties and periodically purge images not linked to from local storage. This way a user only has to link to it once and it's there forever but can be deleted by removing the link from the post and waiting for it to be purged.

Obviously the devil is in the details for any solution.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft EEC-IV
-460 rocker arm Guinea Pig: 3rd world quality "file to fit" machining

-exhaust leak that sounds like a bucket of playing cards being fed into the radiator fan
-66" leafs ('11 Superduty), extended radius arms.

1966Mustang
Administrator

Post #6 by 1966Mustang » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:24 am

Yeah - we can do this (and I want to). When the 3rd party changes the rules and all your links break... I hate that and want to fix it. I'll make this a priority. Gimme a few days to sort it out. I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks,

Perry
'65 Mustang Coupe, C4, DUI, CompCams 260, Addco 1", StreetOrTrack Front Bilstein Coilover System, Bilstein Rear Shocks, 4-1/2 leaf springs.

Support our forum:
Like us on Facebook, watch us on YouTube, Buy FordSix Gear , Make a Donation!

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #7 by ludwig » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:53 am

I got that 3rd party posting notice too. They wanted $399 per year for a tier that allows 3rd party posting. Not gonna happen.

So you savants can recommend a site that will do it. I can wait. Just my sig photo is all I need.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

arse_sidewards

Post #8 by arse_sidewards » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:06 am

ludwig wrote:I got that 3rd party posting notice too. They wanted $399 per year for a tier that allows 3rd party posting. Not gonna happen.

So you savants can recommend a site that will do it. I can wait. Just my sig photo is all I need.

Imgur, for now.
1994 F150 4x4 8ft EEC-IV
-460 rocker arm Guinea Pig: 3rd world quality "file to fit" machining

-exhaust leak that sounds like a bucket of playing cards being fed into the radiator fan
-66" leafs ('11 Superduty), extended radius arms.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #9 by ludwig » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:27 am

THX

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

82F100
Global Moderator

Post #10 by 82F100 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:34 pm

I've changed computers since i started posting pics from Photobucket. I'm now going back and saving all my pics to my current one so I can keep my library of pics.
300's make good truck motors....not race motors

1966Mustang
Administrator

Post #11 by 1966Mustang » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Hello,

So, I've been looking into this, and I'm not sure if we really need to do anything other than expand the permissions in some forums or members permissions.

I get it if you all have a whole online catalog of images that you'd rather use here and in other places (why anyone would want to go anywhere else but here is beyond me! :rolflmao: )

FTF - Regarding Avatars, you should be able to upload your avatar to this server from your user control panel:
ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=avatar

I can try file uploads in the various forums as my non-admin account and adjust the permissions until it works (if it doesn't work in certain forums). We have plenty of hard disk space - storage is not a problem.

I can also put together a tutorial on how to get your pictures up here and looking good. I can possibly help you with this if you want.

If anyone comes across a dead image link in some post - let me know and I'll see if I can drag it up.

If anyone would like to discuss this with me - reach out via PM or email me - pclark@fordsix.com

Thanks,

Perry
1966Mustang
'65 Mustang Coupe, C4, DUI, CompCams 260, Addco 1", StreetOrTrack Front Bilstein Coilover System, Bilstein Rear Shocks, 4-1/2 leaf springs.

Support our forum:

1966Mustang
Administrator

Post #12 by 1966Mustang » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi All,

Here is a video about attaching images in this forum software.

https://youtu.be/FIuoqJe0irc

Depending on what theme you have the interface may look a little different. It either looks like what is shown in the video (prosilver theme) or like this:

Screenshot from 2017-07-26 22-09-01.png
(subway theme)

Click Attachments, then Add Files -> Select your file to upload, once uploaded select 'Place Inline'.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support our forum: