Is my 4 wheel drive stuck???

Moderator: Mod Squad

LinwoodP350

Is my 4 wheel drive stuck???

Post #1 by LinwoodP350 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:22 am

So I finally have my 1964 Ford P350 on the road and running really well. BUT. The RPM's are running really high. The truck has a T98 four speed transmission with a divorced two speed transfer. Dana 60 rear the truck should run about 55 mph at full tilt... I'm only able to get her up to say 45 mph and the RPM's are pushing 10k on the tach.. I have put the transmission from 4 Hi to 2 Hi and all works smooth but feel like she may still be stuck in 4 wheel drive. Now I was stuck in 4 low and she only did 30 mph and didn't do anything but but her in 2 Hi ..when driving in the street she doesn't feel like she is in 4 wheel drive..

Thank you for any help
LinwoodP350

chad

divorced x-fer oem in '60 'flat nose delivery"

Post #2 by chad » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:27 pm

This the fella come over from FTE, lives down near/on Cape Cod?

I didn't know ur "delivery" / step van was a 4WD...

"...and didn't do anything but but her in 2 Hi ..when driving in the street she doesn't feel like she is in 4 wheel drive….."
It shouldn't be in 4WD in that position on the stick (neutral, 2 W hi, 2w lo). How many positions on the transfer? 5? 4w Hi, 4w Lo, Neutral, 2w Hi, 2w Lo?
Don't drive on the road in 4W - not good 4 U, tires, rear end, vehicle.

Is the 226 i6 sorted out & running well? That carb (I think it wuz) problem sorted out?

No 1 show up for help try the "vintage ford" forum here (click on "Board Index" above, scan down, select it) post those "stats" U did elsewhere if not in ur signature, BUT
this would seem to be the spot for the divorced transfer Qs…
Let wait'n C, we'll get it eventually.
:nod:
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

Cool23

Re: Is my 4 wheel drive stuck???

Post #3 by Cool23 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:50 pm

This reply may sound silly but have you ever had to unwind it ? Often a 4 x 4 needs to be driven in reverse a short distance then you disengage the 4 x 4. My International works the same way but often after using it off road I have to drive it backwards before I can drive on the pavement again. If you leave your 4 x 4 engaged you will soon damage the gearbox and differentials driving it on the sealed pavement roads.
V8's are great but Six Inlines Just Fine. Cummins Advert.

The link to my project on this forum http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41598

chad

1960 'Delivery'/Step Van, divorced x-fer, 226 i6

Post #4 by chad » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:05 pm

2X twice
:nono:
and
:lol:
Sometimes just bump it into reverse (no "back up mile" needed)
& here's another opinion on 'no hard surfaces'. 4X4 is for off rd, stuck, or very short distances (feet).
Even sno driving in 4WD can spin U.
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #5 by B RON CO » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi, of you have locking hubs, like my Bronco, the front drive shaft should not turn when in 2 high. You can see this if you can get the truck to roll, by pulling on the bumper, or have a spotter looking. When my Bronco is in 4 low I don't need 1st gear. You should be able to feel that. Low range revs really fast, high range runs normal. A friend of mine has probably the same set up on a 63 Ford 550 or 650. I've checked it out a couple of times. I don't remember if it is a Marmon Herrington, and I don't remember if it has locking front hubs. You can always remove the front drive shaft until you get it figured out
Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

LinwoodP350

Re: divorced x-fer oem in '60 'flat nose delivery"

Post #6 by LinwoodP350 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:43 am

chad wrote:This the fella come over from FTE, lives down near/on Cape Cod?

"...and didn't do anything but but her in 2 Hi ..when driving in the street she doesn't feel like she is in 4 wheel drive….."
It shouldn't be in 4WD in that position on the stick (neutral, 2 W hi, 2w lo). How many positions on the transfer? 5? 4w Hi, 4w Lo, Neutral, 2w Hi, 2w Lo?

Is the 226 i6 sorted out & running well? That carb (I think it wuz) problem sorted out?

No 1 show up for help try the "vintage ford" forum here (click on "Board Index" above, scan down, select it) post those "stats" U did elsewhere if not in ur signature, BUT

As far as any issues the truck is running very well ... The single barrel carb is doing well I turn the key she starts with a quick choke...takes awhile to warm up and I was putting down the road ... So if memory serves me we have 4 high 2 high neutral and 4 low ...it does have locking hubs (wagner) just seam to spin very subtle click not sure they are working correctly..I'll try to unwind her as one has stated and hope she disengages ...thanks for the feedback LinwoodP350

B RON CO
VIP Member

Post #7 by B RON CO » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi, my hubs lock clockwise and unlock counter clockwise. Clock Lock. Jack up a wheel and see if it is free. If the axle shaft turns it is not unlocked. Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

LinwoodP350

Post #8 by LinwoodP350 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:56 am

I haven't said too much about the 4x4 until now because i had so many other items on the list before. if your on Facebook you can look up the page for The Yellow Submarine @Ginzosyellowsubmarine and see the progress of the Submarines resurrection. Thanks for all the help thus far. ohh and we are all a little Beatles crazy

LinwoodP350

LinwoodP350

Post #9 by LinwoodP350 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:49 am

LinwoodP350 wrote:

I haven't said too much about the 4x4 until now because i had so many other items on the list before. if your on Facebook you can look up the page for The Yellow Submarine @Ginzosyellowsubmarine and see the progress of the Submarines resurrection. Thanks for all the help thus far. ohh and we are all a little Beatles crazy

LinwoodP350
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rusty_Old_F250

Post #10 by Rusty_Old_F250 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:04 am

Have you ever driving the rig over 45 mph before? I would check out the back diff and figure out what ratio you have in there

Sam

LinwoodP350

Post #11 by LinwoodP350 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:54 am

Rusty_Old_F250 wrote:Have you ever driving the rig over 45 mph before? I would check out the back diff and figure out what ratio you have in there

Sam

Rusty i have been told it should go 55 at top speed when in 2 HI