Wire or clip clutch fork

Moderator: Mod Squad

65 Mustang

Wire or clip clutch fork

Post #1 by 65 Mustang » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Hi Everyone. I have a 1972 3.03 3 speed transmission. The bellhousing that came with it, however, looks to be from an earlier year as it has the bracket to support the wire clutch fork. I need to get a new clutch fork. My question is should I just get a new wire clutch fork that will work with current bellhousing setup or should I try to find a bracket for bellhousing that will support the clip design? In other words, is there any real difference between the two? I'd prefer to just go with wire fork, but I assume they changed it for a reason. Any thoughts? Thanks

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Wire or clip clutch fork

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:14 pm

Reasons Ford might have changed the parts design were to improve its strength, for speed of assembly of parts, or probably the biggest reason to reduce per unit costs. Depending on your build plan if you like what you have there really isn't a reason to change as both types worked very well. One reason you might change though is if your planing to build your engines power level up and if you happen to have the smaller 8 1/2 inch size clutch now. In that case moving up to a bigger clutch like a 9 inch or bigger then the bell housing might need to be changed out. Good luck on your build. :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.