Questions on Replacing a 2.77 Transmission in a 65 Ranchero

Moderator: Mod Squad

shorty73

Questions on Replacing a 2.77 Transmission in a 65 Ranchero

Post #1 by shorty73 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:33 am

Hi everyone, first post to the board. I stumbled across this site while looking for info on my dad’s 1965 Ranchero. He picked this thing up a few months ago thinking it was a great deal. Great deal of work is more like it. We finally got it driving (up and down the block anyway) and discovered the transmission makes a little noise in first, lots of noise in second and sometimes pops out of second. We’ll be looking over the linkage and adjusting it this weekend, but I’m guessing they’re not going to be the real problem and we’ll have to find a new transmission. I don’t know much about Ford stuff (or transmissions), but the trans has 4 bolts on the cover so it looks to be a 2.77 transmission 3 spd on the column behind a 170ci motor. The number on the transmission is C0DR-7006-A. My dad said it was hard to see so not positive this is right; I’ll be double checking this weekend. If correct, this decoded to a 1960 Falcon trans, so obviously a replacement (truck has at least 179k on it, so seems reasonable).

We were thinking the easiest way forward is to find a good working unit, which I may have. It’s not local, but the guy said he’d be willing to ship it. This particular trans was in a 67 Mustang. So my question is, will this thing fit as is, or if not, can we swap any components to make it fit? If not, are there any other platforms and years that had transmissions that will fit? To get a sense of its condition, I've seen that the cover should be opened to look for chipped teeth or obvious wear. Are there any other questions I should ask a seller or things to look for?

This website is pretty great and I anticipate us using it quite a bit to get my dad’s truck into shape. I'm starting to appreciate Rancheros and getting one myself has crossed my mind a few times. I appreciate any help you can give. I did try the search function and didn’t come up with much. Thanks in advance.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Questions on Replacing a 2.77 Transmission in a 65 Ranchero

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 pm

:hmmm: some pictures would help, but normally the 2.77 wasn't used after 1966 when the Ford six models then went to the better 3.03. So make sure the seller has pictures too so you can match it up. I have a nice 2.77 out of a 65 Mustang (with floor shifter) sitting in my shop I can take some pictures of if it helps you. The 2.77 is an easy trans to rebuild too. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

mustang6
VIP Member

Post #3 by mustang6 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:50 pm

+1 to what Bubba said, you are likely being offered a 3.03 3-speed out of that 67 Mustang and unfortunately it's not a direct swap. I have seen the 3.03 put behind the early (pre-66) bellhousing but it required machining of the transmission input shaft and front bearing retainer plate, plus other mods to shift linkage and driveshaft. You get a bulletproof trans for all that work, but by that point it would have probably been easier to put in a T5.
Scott

68 Mustang 200 ci, 250-2V head, H/W 5200, Dual Headers, Comp Cams 252H, DSII w/ MSD 6AL, T-5, V8 suspension.

65 Ranchero 200 ci, late 170 head, Autolite 1101, 3.03 3 speed, Maverick 8" 4 lug rear with 3.55 gears.

shorty73

Post #4 by shorty73 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 pm

I might have mis-remembered the year, but I'm positive he said he bought and rebuilt it to use in his Mustang, and he had to make a few changes to get it to fit. I was mostly focused on seeing if he would ship it since it was private party and will call back with more questions once I know what to ask about.

Here is a photo of the trans for sale:

trans.jpg

My dad and I have never torn into a transmission for rebuild. Any special tools? I suppose we could probably do that, but I know I'm anxious to get this thing on the road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Yes the sellers trans is a 2.77 and it's also a Mustang application, same as the one I have. It will be a direct bolt into your dads 65 Ranchero with just the swapping of some small parts from your trans (shifter arms if you have the typical colum type shifter) or you could do a little more work cutting a hole in the floor to use it with the floor shifter. As too rebuilding them not much in special tools are required to do a rebuild except for snap ring pliers and maybe having a couple bearings pressed off and on. Good luck :thumbup: :nod: if it dosent work out with the seller I might be willing to sell my trans too am located in the Flagstaff Az. Area.

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

shorty73

Post #6 by shorty73 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 pm

That's great news. We'll do linkage stuff on the truck tomorrow to confirm its condition and make the decision to rebuild or snag that one. I hope anyway, my dad takes his time to decide sometimes. Help appreciated!

mustang6
VIP Member

Post #7 by mustang6 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:21 am

Yep that's a 2.77 out of a 64.5-66 Mustang! That will work- good luck!
Scott

68 Mustang 200 ci, 250-2V head, H/W 5200, Dual Headers, Comp Cams 252H, DSII w/ MSD 6AL, T-5, V8 suspension.

65 Ranchero 200 ci, late 170 head, Autolite 1101, 3.03 3 speed, Maverick 8" 4 lug rear with 3.55 gears.

shorty73

Post #8 by shorty73 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:03 pm

We adjusted the linkage and it didn't help the 2nd gear popout problem, and if anything made it worse. So, I called the guy back about the transmission for sale and asked a few more questions. He confirmed it was in his 67 mustang behind a 200 ci. With this in mind, am I looking at any compatibility problems with my dad's 65 Ranchero? He mentioned we may have different clutches so the input shaft might be different, but he didn't think that was the case. We haven't pulled the trans yet because it's still derivable, but may do that to check.

Your thoughts are appreciated. :?:

For reference, the part code on his transmission is C4OR.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #9 by bubba22349 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:13 pm

shorty73 wrote:We adjusted the linkage and it didn't help the 2nd gear popout problem, and if anything made it worse. So, I called the guy back about the transmission for sale and asked a few more questions. He confirmed it was in his 67 mustang behind a 200 ci. With this in mind, am I looking at any compatibility problems with my dad's 65 Ranchero? He mentioned we may have different clutches so the input shaft might be different, but he didn't think that was the case. We haven't pulled the trans yet because it's still derivable, but may do that to check.

Your thoughts are appreciated. :?:

For reference, the part code on his transmission is C4OR.

Really it doesn't matter that it was swapped Into the sellers 1967 Mustang, as it's orginally out of a 1964 1/2 to 1966 Mustang this can be confirmed by the casting / design code numbers or the tran ID tag. With the only exception of that trans being a floor shifter Mustang trans it's going to be the same as your dads in the 65 Ranchero and there will be no differance in the input shaft splines. Basically you will only need to remove the compleate shifter assembly plus the shifter arms and replace them with the column shift arms from the current 2.77 trans. Just wondering how you adjusted the column shift linkage did you make sure that the shifter was alined properly in the neutral gate? Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

shorty73

Post #10 by shorty73 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:49 pm

Ok, that's good news about the fitment.

When we adjusted the linkage, we did make the adjustment tool per the shop manual to set linkage in place. Put shifter in neutral, loosen the nuts, put in the tool to line up and tighten nuts. We tried setting tool in the middle, then one extreme, then the other. Pretty much the same each time: 2nd still noisy and popping out. The linkage was a little worn and sloppy, but it appeared that each shift was putting it fully into gear. Unless the key isn't "fully in gear", but "in the right position"? We tried a few adjustments and gave up.

The seller said he would get an estimate to have the UPS store pack it up for shipping. :shock: I had suggested putting in an ice chest with piece of plywood bolted to the trans face to keep it steady. Add a few 2x4's to keep it from sliding back and forth and it seemed good to me. They're going to charge 2 arms and 3 legs so I'm not sure the deal will go through. Didn't seem like he was willing to box it up himself. We'll see.

bmbm40

Post #11 by bmbm40 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:28 pm

Try getting a shipping quote from Greyhound.
I don't know if DHL is still shipping domestically but several years ago they shipped my nv3550 for almost half what UPS wanted.
66 Bronco-1970 250, NV3550, DSII, 4 turn ps, uncut, 1" bl, 2.5" sl, front disc, twin stick D 20, 30 x 9.50
NEXT- direct mount 1.08 on D8 head, power brakes, rear limited slip, 3G, electric fan, electric upgrades, custom curved DSII, header, 31" tires

'81 F150 4x4 300

New guy? Get this>http://www.falcon6handbook.com

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #12 by bubba22349 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:59 pm

shorty73 wrote:Ok, that's good news about the fitment.

When we adjusted the linkage, we did make the adjustment tool per the shop manual to set linkage in place. Put shifter in neutral, loosen the nuts, put in the tool to line up and tighten nuts. We tried setting tool in the middle, then one extreme, then the other. Pretty much the same each time: 2nd still noisy and popping out. The linkage was a little worn and sloppy, but it appeared that each shift was putting it fully into gear. Unless the key isn't "fully in gear", but "in the right position"? We tried a few adjustments and gave up.

The seller said he would get an estimate to have the UPS store pack it up for shipping. :shock: I had suggested putting in an ice chest with piece of plywood bolted to the trans face to keep it steady. Add a few 2x4's to keep it from sliding back and forth and it seemed good to me. They're going to charge 2 arms and 3 legs so I'm not sure the deal will go through. Didn't seem like he was willing to box it up himself. We'll see.

On the column shift linkage adjustment you can tell when it's right! Starting with the shifter in the neutral position between 2nd 3rd gears when you pull lever straight up to the neutral position between 1st and Rev. it should move smoothly if it hangs up any through the neutral gate it isn't quite adjusted correctly. With it being noisy and popping out of 2nd, then the sincro is likely worn out and or there is damage to the second gear.

X2 have used greyhound in the past and about a year ago I sent a "large log 200 head" back to Oklahoma in a plywood box via FedEx Ground it was quite a lot less then going with Ups. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

powerband
FSP Moderator

Post #13 by powerband » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 am

I swapped a Toploader 3.03 tranny in a '61. When modifying the original 3OTT linkage I used the detent provided on the steering column center plate divider to align shift arms. The provided detent for column shift ears is the starting point for getting linkage correct. First be sure the column shifter ears are reasonably tight.

(most 'popping out of gear' situations usually found to be transmission - not shifter alignment related unless seriously out of whack or subject to excessive motor movement due to mounts or other problems. )

Image .. Image

have fin
"Take time to stop and smell... The roadkill..."