Clutch from heck: Clutch Squeak

Moderator: Mod Squad

StarDiero75

Clutch from heck: Clutch Squeak

Post #1 by StarDiero75 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:57 pm

Howdy guys,

So i think most of yoy all remember my clutch issues and finally having to switch engines. So since i had the shop put the clutch and all back in, it has squeaked whenever i let off the clutch pedal, not and while running. It is from under the hood, not my bushings in the cab.

I just took it back today and it still squeaks after i get it back. And supposedly they greased all parts of the linkage and the shaft the TO bearing sits on.

My final thought is, since it only squeaks until the TO bearing isnt on the fingers anymore that maybe its a crap pressure plate that squeaks.

Im gonna see if i can get my mechanic stethoscope and put it in the holes at the bottom of the bell (not running of course) and see if thats whats squeaking.

Whats your all's thought?

Thanks,
Ryan
65 Ranchero, 66 200, 65 3.03
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200 and 3.03 column shift, 8" rear 2.8 (Yes I know the gearing sucks), weber 32/36, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives
--Creator of the only Weber 32/36 conversion video.

mustang6
VIP Member

Re: Clutch from heck: Clutch Squeak

Post #2 by mustang6 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:01 am

Remind me of which pressure plate you ultimately ended up with- the diaphragm or the 3 finger? If it's the 3 finger, I believe you can lightly lube the pivot points of the fingers but it would require tearing everything down to get in there. This should have been lubed from the factory though, and never need it again unless the whole thing has been soaked in solvent or something.

I agree with you getting under the vehicle and having someone operate the clutch so you can trace the noise. In my experience the spring that holds the clutch rod to the throwout bearing arm can make quite a noise when stretched, so hopefully that's all it is.

Scott
Scott

68 Mustang 200 ci, Aussie 250-2V head, Dual Headers, Comp Cams 252H, DSII w/MSD 6AL, T-5, V8 suspension.

65 Ranchero 200 ci, late 170 head, Autolite 1101, 3.03 3 speed, Maverick 8" 4 lug rear with 3.55 gears.

StarDiero75

Post #3 by StarDiero75 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:26 am

mustang6 wrote:Remind me of which pressure plate you ultimately ended up with- the diaphragm or the 3 finger? If it's the 3 finger, I believe you can lightly lube the pivot points of the fingers but it would require tearing everything down to get in there. This should have been lubed from the factory though, and never need it again unless the whole thing has been soaked in solvent or something.

I agree with you getting under the vehicle and having someone operate the clutch so you can trace the noise. In my experience the spring that holds the clutch rod to the throwout bearing arm can make quite a noise when stretched, so hopefully that's all it is.

Scott

It is the Duralast 3 finger style. Thats what i was thinking what could squeak.

Ill post back what i find out today.

Thanks
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200 and 3.03 column shift, 8" rear 2.8 (Yes I know the gearing sucks), weber 32/36, CRT Performance HEI.
--1961 Studebaker Lark VI, OHV 170 l6 in the process of being resurrected. But it lives

falcon_master

Post #4 by falcon_master » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:19 am

I’m not a clutch expert but my 3 finger style pressure plate also squeaks a little but as bad as yours, I’ll have to see what the ford shop manual says but from what I know I would see if it’s the fingers on the PP or the spring for the release lever. Hope this helps
Junior year high school AFJROTC cadet and car enthusiast. Likes all things ford and engines of any company. 64 falcon 2dr sedan,144CI and 3spd column shift. estimated 124,000 miles. Resurrected after sitting outside for 18 years, In process fixing for use as daily driver YouTube channel for repairs coming soon. “Old cars may break but are never broken”-RCR

StarDiero75

Post #5 by StarDiero75 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Pretty sure its the pressure plate. I got a mechanics stethoscope and was able to put it through the vent holes in the bell onto the PP. I can hear the springs vibrate in it, definitely the fingers. Tranny shop said they'd look at it again. Almost tempted to ask them if theyd try to put a diaphram in it. But if they keep using the same clutch kit, i dont have to pay for it lol.

chad

Post #6 by chad » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:44 am

neither will they.
I doubt anything's wrong w/it but they can B faulty. Simply send it back ask the supplier to reimburse ur instalation time & get a new one. Don't even hafta charge the customer.
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

StarDiero75

Post #7 by StarDiero75 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:08 pm

So my car is now blacklisted from the shop. It got hit while at the shop and so he wiped a $400 bill. He wont touch the Ranchero again b/c its a loss and said if i switched the engine, im fully capable of doing the clutch. He politely said my car isnt welcome back lol.

It peeves me off they dont back their products enough to switch it. Its not a feature that it squeaks, its a defect. Its loud as heck now and it used to only happen when warm, now its all the time.

Ill be going to a diaphragm 9" when i get the time to do it. I have a spare 66 flywheel that i can get ready. The only thing i need to do is get the holes for alignment holes for the diaphragm pressure plate drilled and put in. This is a fairly easy thing for a machine shop to do right?

Thanks,
Ryan