Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

T5 Swap Clutch won't engage

Moderator: Mod Squad

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: T5 Swap Clutch won't engage

Post #51 by bubba22349 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:38 pm

:beer: congrats. Wow yes that shorter clutch release arm is going to make quite a differance in the amount of travel of the throwout bearing. Best of luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

My Ex-Fleet of Sixes sadly these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

blaze65

Post #52 by blaze65 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:28 pm

Seems like problems are behind me. Trans is in, clutch is working, shifts normally, all looking better.

Recap of problem. Throwout bearing was binding on the input shaft. There was galling / some type of build up or bump on the bearing shaft. This was causing the TO Bearing to not really travel to the face of the clutch but tilt and was digging into the shaft and stopping , making if feel like you were up against something. The added issue was geometry. Car is a mix of parts and I had ordered a new clutch fork from Moderdriveline and when it arrived found it a good 1 inch or more shorter then what I had. Talking with MDL they said what I had was a V8 Fork and what they had sent was a I6 fork, and that the V8 fork would not work. Another problem was that the equalizer bar had been bent / adjusted , I assume to make the V8 fork work.

Rebuilt and adjusted the equalizer bar, Installed everything and it is now working. Had a lot of trouble getting the trans fully in the last quarter inch. Assumed I was just not getting the tip into the pilot bushing. Hooked up the clutch even though it was not fully in the last 1/4 inch and had someone depress the clutch. that allowed the clutch disc to free up off the flywheel and tip fell in place. I assume I must not have been fully aligned as needed.

Not sure of the condition of this salvaged T5 but its working.

Many Many Many Thanks to this forum. I would be lost without it. Many more thanks to bubba22349 for all of the support and advice.

Time to work on electric power steering with tilt wheel next.

Bill

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #53 by bubba22349 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:59 pm

:beer: Congratulations Bill, glad to hear of your success in getting your T5 conversion compleated and working like it should. You put in a lot of effort into finding out all the problem areas and locating all the correct parts needed for the clutch's proper operation, hope that you will now enjoy driving your 1965 Mustang. You might keep an eye out for a replacement front bearing retainer or if you happen to have any trouble with throwout bearings operation again in the future you can think about maybe having the front bearing retainer Heli Arc welded in that worn area and then re-machined back to its original size so the throwout bearing can slide even better. Best of luck on that new electric power steering project. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

My Ex-Fleet of Sixes sadly these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.