Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

T5 behind a 200?

Moderator: Mod Squad

Jamie Miles

T5 behind a 200?

Post #1 by Jamie Miles » Sun May 23, 2010 11:00 pm

I have a '72 Maverick with a 200 in it. The car is a real daily driver, it just rolled over 111,000 miles I've put on it since 2006, the body has around 339,000. My current configuration is it has a 1971 200 in it with 101,000 original miles, C4, 2.79 gear. MSD 6AL ignition, Rochester BC carb off an old '63 Chevy, a header, and an electric fan from a '94 Taurus. Car runs reliably 70+ miles a day up and down the interstate, getting low to mid 20's for gas mileage at around 70 mph, and has been for years. Everything I do to this car I do with improving efficiency in mind.

Anyway, the 200 is currently leaking from about every gasket. I'm planning to pull it back out soon and reseal the whole engine. I've decided at the same time I want to put a T5 in the car, using a stock bell housing from a '70 Maverick I recently picked up. Question is, aside from the adapter plate to mate the T5 to that bell housing, what other mods will I need to do to get the T5 behind the 200? What about the pilot bearing? Any clutch recommendations? I figure a T5 with an aluminum drive shaft and 3.25 gear should hopefully help me pick up a little more efficiency. This car spends about 80% of it's time at 70-80 mph. It will continue to be a daily driver indefinitely.
Last edited by Jamie Miles on Mon May 24, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anlushac11
RC/TS Moderator

Re: T5 behind a 200?

Post #2 by Anlushac11 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:12 am

If you use a V8 T5 you can use a 5.0L V8 pilot bearing, you will have to check the driveline thread for which bearing with a 4CYL T5 but some on here have used a 4cyl T5.

If you can get the flat and not recessed center clutch you can have the inside turned to fit a Ford 2.3L clutch disc. If you have a flywheel Tom's sells new flywheel ring gear to replace the one on your flywheel. http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/search.p ... x=0&go.y=0

So that would mean 200 L6 flywheel, Ford 2.3L clutch disc (get the Turbo 2.3L one), and a 200 inline six pressure plate (try to avoid the 3 finger one). A couple of places sell the throwout bearing.

Isnt the Maverick very similar to the 65-70 Mustang on most of the driveline?

Here are some links

http://classicinlines.com/proddetail.as ... PC-200-T65

http://www.moderndriveline.com/

This place sells a T5 swap kit into a classic Mustang which Im thinking could be made to work with a Maverick.

http://www.autoworksparts.com/hydraulic_clutch_kits.htm

Since you have a 2.79 rear gear I would recommend trying to find a 4cyl T-5. They have higher first and second gear ratio's which will help your car move off the line more quickly but still have a 5th gear overdrive which makes cruising very efficient.

I have a 3200lb 89 Mustang convertible daily driver with a 4cyl rated at about 90hp and I have a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe T5 with a 2.73:1 rear gear and I really like the way the car accelerates away from a stoplight and still cruises along lazily in 5th gear at 65mph.
Last edited by Anlushac11 on Mon May 24, 2010 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
3.3L n C4 installed, working on wiring for Duraspark II, trans lines, fuel lines, carb linkage.

james singleton

Post #3 by james singleton » Mon May 24, 2010 1:22 am

Jamie, I'm sorry that I cannot answer any of your questions concerning a T5 behind a 200, but I noticed that you mentioned that you are using a Rochester carburetor (from a 63' Chevy) on your 200. I have a question or two about that Rochester carb: What Chevy engine did it come off of (the 194, 230, 250,...)?, and how well has that Rochester carb worked on your 200? What modifications did you have to make in order to make it work (carb plate?, linkage?, etc.?); and how does the Rochester carb compare to any stock Ford carbs? The reason I ask, is that I have a 67' Chevelle with a 230cid straight six engine, and I have a couple of Rochester carbs that I was planning on using for a dual carb, or tri-carb set-up on my Chevy' six, but if I should not, I am interested in how well that Rochester carb might work on my Ford Six/ 200??? Thanks, James

Jamie Miles

Post #4 by Jamie Miles » Tue May 25, 2010 2:52 am

It has a 2.79 gear now, but I have a 3.25 I plan to put in at the same time.

The Rochester carb runs great on the 200. I want to say it's a 167 cfm carb, which is on the small side, but it works great for the type of driving I do. As for what engine it came off of, I'm not entirely sure what it was. This is what the car looked like that I got it off of:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... belair.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... inebay.jpg

It was a '63 Chevy Bel Air I found in the woods behind where I used to live.. The carb sitting on that manifold in the second picture is THE carb that is on my car now. I was bored and it seemed like a fun challenge at the time, so I grabbed it off and carried it back home. Tore it down, cleaned everything and threw a rebuild kit in it. After god only knows how many years laying in the woods, I wasn't expecting much out of it, but I tossed it on the car and damned if it didn't run better then the Carter YF I had on the previously. I had to modify the linkage on it to work with the Maverick's throttle cable. Just took a couple of little scraps of metal I had laying around and welded them on: http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... ester1.jpg

Also just went and bought a small length of pre-flared steel brake line, cut the flare off one end, screwed the other end onto the carb and bent it so that the air cleaner would clear: http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... ester2.jpg

My factory air clear was easy to modify to work as well, just had to cut a couple of little locating notches off of it, and it dropped right on like it was made for it. I ended up retapping the threads inside of the carb so that i could run a Holley main jet in it, since I had a set of those laying around. I've had the carb on there for about 26,000 miles now and have had absolutely zero problems out of it. I've had a Carter YF and a Carter RBS on this car over the past few years, and I hands down like this carb better then either of those. It's extremely easy to rebuild and tune, it has yet to ever try and vapor lock no matter how hot it is out or how long I sit in traffic, and the overall drive-ability of it is excellent. I removed all the choke components since it was all rusted up and destroyed. I've since started the car on mornings where the temperature outside was as low as 15 degrees. It will almost always fire right off after 5 pumps of the gas without the choke, no matter how cold it is.

james singleton

Post #5 by james singleton » Wed May 26, 2010 3:03 am

Jamie, thanks for your response on the Rochester carb set-up that you are running on your 200. The carburetor(s) that I have for my 67' Chevy six (230cid) are the Rochester BV model(s), not the "BC" model that you have on your 200 engine. I do not believe the hole/bolt spacing on the Rochester BV carbs are the same as the Ford carb spacings, but I will check tomorrow. I appreciate the photos that you posted; "wow", that 63' Bel Air looks like it has been sitting in the woods for a while. I am glad to hear that after you rebuilt your carb that it is performing so well on your 200, it makes me want to try one on my 200 and see how it runs. I know that the Rochester on my 67' Chevelle has performed real well over the years; pretty reliable! Thanks again, James

Jamie Miles

Post #6 by Jamie Miles » Thu May 27, 2010 2:27 am

It bolted right on with a 250 carb spacer. It wouldn't fit with the original 200 spacer.