Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Howling noise in transmission bearing?

Moderator: Mod Squad

bubba

Howling noise in transmission bearing?

Post #1 by bubba » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:24 am

I have a 1991 f-150 I6 5 speed manual. Theres a howling sound coming from the front of the tranny, it gets louder on the highway. Sounds similar to a wheel bearing. Is there a bearing on the front of the trasmission? Could it be the bearing on the input shaft?
Thanks
1962 Rambler American Flathead six 3 speed
1998 International 4700 DTE444
1989 International 1600 7.3 non turbo

The Plankster Prankster

Re: Howling noise in transmission bearing?

Post #2 by The Plankster Prankster » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:54 am

yeah, its probably the input shaft bearing, i've seen them fail before.
i assume you have the mazdog tranny, or is it the the ZF? i know the mazdog is slightly a PITA to get the input shaft out. the secret to it is you have to remove the bearings from the countershaft to get enough clearance to remove it.

as youre in there, i would definately recomend installing all new bearings and seals, as this is recomended any time you open up a tranny. if you do it yourself, you will need an assortment of pullers, snap ring pliers (heavy duty), and it would be helpful to have a press (but not necessary). also, pay close attention to the order and orientation of parts as you tear into it. i have memories of installing a piece backward, i believe it was the ring between the shift fork and the synchros for the 5th/reverse side of things. felt like a fool when i figured it out.
while youre in there, decide if you want new synchros. if the old ones shift great, i would leave them alone, but if theyre starting to get bad, i would replace the whole lot of them while youre in there.

just a thought, another possibility might be a problem in the throwout bearing, but if yes, that would be apparent while removing the tranny before tearing into it.
83 F250 flatbed 300-6, NP435, 4X4, 5800lbs empty weight
87 E-350 6.9 diesel, c6, 3.55s, powertrax no-slip locker, onboard 120v power and compressed air, built out with toolboxes and toys

bubba

Post #3 by bubba » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks for the reply. I think its a the mazda tranny but I havn't looked into it. Recently I realized that the noise goes away when I'm turning left. I'm thinking its not the trannsmission now.
1962 Rambler American Flathead six 3 speed
1998 International 4700 DTE444
1989 International 1600 7.3 non turbo

Rinke

Post #4 by Rinke » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:33 pm

The Plankster Prankster wrote:as youre in there, i would definately recomend installing all new bearings and seals, as this is recomended any time you open up a tranny. if you do it yourself, you will need an assortment of pullers, snap ring pliers (heavy duty), and it would be helpful to have a press (but not necessary). also, pay close attention to the order and orientation of parts as you tear into it. i have memories of installing a piece backward, i believe it was the ring between the shift fork and the synchros for the 5th/reverse side of things. felt like a fool when i figured it out.
while youre in there, decide if you want new synchros. if the old ones shift great, i would leave them alone, but if theyre starting to get bad, i would replace the whole lot of them while youre in there.

sounds like my reverse idler gear backwards installation :bang: it was the first part to go in...... and so I got to take apart the tranny twice.....
64 Falcon Station Deluxe
3 on the tree
3.50:1 rear end
Been collecting dust & adding rust for 30 years
Goal: to keep it all working from okt 2008 till all eternity