Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry

Unknown->> M.Ketterer, T.Smith, J.Myers, P.McIntire - Please PM me (1966Mustang) and lemme know who you are!

Clutch recommendations

Moderator: Mod Squad

CAMDEN289

Clutch recommendations

Post #1 by CAMDEN289 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 am

Hi all,
I have a 66 Mustang convertible that I have owned for 20 years. Over the years I've done a bunch of ( stock appearing) mods one of which was a 3.03 trans conversion. The car was a very nice looking driver until it got totally destroyed by last years Hurricane. I bought the car from insurance and little by little I've been working on it. One of the items that was perfect but is now shot is my clutch( I don't recall where I had gotten it? ) . I was wondering what people like and recommend these days as far as a clutch kit, I want a simple/reasonable clutch kit with the lightest possible pedal effort I can get while still retaining the stock Z bar setup. Thanks in advance

P.S. I looked into a perfection clutch setup through Advance, any one have any experience with these? Thanks again

BIG 6 farmer

Re: Clutch recommendations

Post #2 by BIG 6 farmer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Its best to be picky when choosing a clutch kit, (had my share of bad ones) LUK makes a real nice kit, never had a problem with one. :nod: Seems I have used the Perfection kit before, without a problem.
83 F 150 SB 4x4 300 six NP 4speed - - 1950 IHC L162 (1&1/2 ton?) - 87 & 88 T-Bird Turbo Coupes - 2000 Triumph Tiger , 76 Honda GL 1000 , & other toys and parts (& junk) -

CAMDEN289

Post #3 by CAMDEN289 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:10 am

Ok, so in digging a bit deeper I looked at the Perfection kit, Quality seems good,but it uses a Borg and Beck style pressure plate. I would prefer to go with a newer diaphragm style pressure plate . As I said I'd like the lightest pedal pressure possible while keeping the Z bar. Plus it would be really nice to ditch my over center spring from my clutch pedal assembly. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Hypothetical example can I buy a kit from a Fairmont, monarch,granada,newer Mustang,etc,etc,etc, and retro fit it with light mods? I have some time to look around and weigh my options I'd love to hear some thoughts. Thanks

vssman

Post #4 by vssman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:18 pm

When I converted my falcon from the 2.77 to the 3.03 tranny, I replaced the clutch with a diaphram style pressure plate. Go the kit through Summit - basically make sure the spline is correct for the input shaft and the right diameter for the flywheel (you have a flat flywheel, right?) I had to use a different throughout bearing as the one that came with the kit. I don't recall what I used but I got it off of this site after searching and reading a few threads.

Here's my old thread: http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=59727
63 Falcon 'vert running a 68 200CID Tri carb and a few other goodies